280ZX front windscreen

Arkwright

Inactive
280zx Front windscreen query.

I cracked my front screen and informed my insurance company in July of this year. The AA were contracted by the insurance company to replace it. They sent a bloke out to check that it was cracked and then phoned to ask what colour tint it was. It was my opinion that it was either clear or had a slight brown or bronze tint but I couldn’t tell with any degree of certainty. The bloke returned and declared that it must be a very slight blue, he said they would check with Pilkingtons. The AA phoned back and said Pilkingtons would manufacture a screen but it would take a while. I was prepared to wait as the car was still usable . They turned up yesterday with a very blue screen which I rejected as it was so very obviously wrong. Off they went and I was later contacted by phone and told that they only did two shades of blue and they were forbidden by EEC rules to manufacture the paler one. I would have to accept the screen offered.

My 280ZX is black with a brown interior and as stated the glass appears to be either clear or have a brown or bronze tint. It is an import from Saudi Arabia. I don’t know if that makes a difference to the tint. I don't feel the car will look right with a blue screen.

Has anyone else had this problem or do you know where I can find a more suitable screen or if other tints are available perhaps from a different manufacturer (if there is one).

The car is off road now for the winter so I'm in no hurry for a replacement.

supermik

Well-Known Forum User
Quick question. Are you allowed to put those vinyl window tints onto windscreens? If so, would that be a solution?

Arkwright

Inactive
I'm not sure but I think you can. However if the screen is already tinted how can you negate that tint in favour of the vinyl one?

Farmer42

Club Member
280zx Front windscreen query.

I cracked my front screen and informed my insurance company in July of this year. The AA were contracted by the insurance company to replace it. They sent a bloke out to check that it was cracked and then phoned to ask what colour tint it was. It was my opinion that it was either clear or had a slight brown or bronze tint but I couldn’t tell with any degree of certainty. The bloke returned and declared that it must be a very slight blue, he said they would check with Pilkingtons. The AA phoned back and said Pilkingtons would manufacture a screen but it would take a while. I was prepared to wait as the car was still usable . They turned up yesterday with a very blue screen which I rejected as it was so very obviously wrong. Off they went and I was later contacted by phone and told that they only did two shades of blue and they were forbidden by EEC rules to manufacture the paler one. I would have to accept the screen offered.

My 280ZX is black with a brown interior and as stated the glass appears to be either clear or have a brown or bronze tint. It is an import from Saudi Arabia. I don’t know if that makes a difference to the tint. I don't feel the car will look right with a blue screen.

Has anyone else had this problem or do you know where I can find a more suitable screen or if other tints are available perhaps from a different manufacturer (if there is one).

The car is off road now for the winter so I'm in no hurry for a replacement.

Black Dragon Automotive in the US list one in their catalogue as do Z Car Source but it doesn't say what colour the tint is.

AndyMinto

Inactive
Hi,
Mine are both clear but the MK1 has a blue tint at the top. This is an aftermarket screen as i can tell by the amount of gunk glue that fixed it in.

Hope this helps

Huw

Club Member
The new screen I had put in mine has a blue tint and it is a lot darker that the spare screen I have. The spare came out of a 82' car and is much paler by comparison. My car is a 79' MK1 car and the original screen also had a pale blue tint like the rest of the glass. I think there was only a blue tint for this country. However, I could be wrong on that score.