280zx Engine Bay Clean Up

Ped

Club Member
Now that I have refurbished my air filter box I want to get on with cleaning up the engine bay. Note: I don't say 'detailing', as I won't be going overboard - just a general clean and tidy.

Here is the before:

280zx-air-filter.jpg

And after:

filter-13.jpg

Mike Feeney sourced me some new zip ties, bonnet stay clip and a new decal for the washer bottle.

engine_bay_items.jpg

Here is the grubby washer bottle:

water-bottle.jpg

Here is how it looks at the moment. I will get started and post up more pics as and when I get time. Will need to fix a coolant leak from around the thermostat first though...

filter-14.jpg

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Wot Jon said!!! Awesome.

I did a similar thing with a washer bottle - the best thing for old plastics is hydrogen peroxide and UV light. It gets rid of the yellow aged effect brilliantly well.

Ped

Club Member
I did a similar thing with a washer bottle - the best thing for old plastics is hydrogen peroxide and UV light. It gets rid of the yellow aged effect brilliantly well.

I was thinking of having a go at that, there are a few YouTube videos showing similar. Glad to hear hydrogen peroxide worked and did not damage it.

Ped

Club Member
So the Zed has been in the garage since last year, apart from a few turns round the block. Now got the coolant leak fixed and I have also been round to a mates who is going to quote for the body work and paint - finally! Have now been out a couple of runs and now want to get on sorting it out.

First thing: gave it a wash, but could not find a chamois, so used a micro-fiber cloth to dry it instead. Won't be bothering with a chamois ever again!

shiney_washed_zed.jpg

Made a start on the engine bay. Took out the washer bottles and cleaned them up, they went for a trip in the dishwasher too.

Came out clean enough, but yellowed so will look at hair peroxide to bleach them next.

bottle1.jpg

washed1.jpg

Ped

Club Member
By the way, does anyone have a reference pic of what the decal on the other washer bottle should look like? Size is 38 x 58mm.

Ped

Club Member
More progress... I got hold of some creme peroxide 9% from a hair salon supply shop for £5.99 for a litre. Also picked up a cheap applicator brush for a pound shop and a decorator plastic sheet.

1a-bleach_stuff.jpg

I then smothered the washer bottles in the stuff and wrapped them up in the plastic sheet to ensure they would not dry out. Left it for about 1 hour and rinsed it off. Didn't look much different so repeated it for 4.5 hours this time... better, but not great.

2-bagged-up.jpg

I then mixed bicarbonate of soda with the creme and gave it another couple of hours. By this time I was getting board of the whole idea, so just rinsed them and refitted them. I did not think they had changed that much until I looked at the before and after pics....

3-washer_bottles.jpg

So it did work, but not perfectly. If I had to do it again I would try the 12% creme peroxide, with bicarbonate of soda - plus leave it for 6 - 8 hour.

Ped

Club Member
And here is the engine bay after a bit of a clean. I bottled out of really giving it a proper wash as I was worried I would wreck my electrics, or upset the wiring by lifting to clean under it. So have still got my expensive new cable ties for the loom - for the next time.

Anyway the main improvement, other than the washer bottles and air cleaner was washing the underside of the bonnet and around the hinges.

Might even leave the bonnet open at the next show I go to! It won't win any prizes, but it is better than it was. Might paint the battery bracket and bonnet stay next, but MOT is on Tuesday morning.

4-clean_bay.jpg

5-clean_bay.jpg

Last edited:

TimW

Club Member
More progress... I got hold of some creme peroxide 9% from a hair salon supply shop for £5.99 for a litre. Also picked up a cheap applicator brush for a pound shop and a decorator plastic sheet.

1a-bleach_stuff.jpg

I then smothered the washer bottles in the stuff and wrapped them up in the plastic sheet to ensure they would not dry out. Left it for about 1 hour and rinsed it off. Didn't look much different so repeated it for 4.5 hours this time... better, but not great.

2-bagged-up.jpg

I then mixed bicarbonate of soda with the creme and gave it another couple of hours. By this time I was getting board of the whole idea, so just rinsed them and refitted them. I did not think they had changed that much until I looked at the before and after pics....

3-washer_bottles.jpg

So it did work, but not perfectly. If I had to do it again I would try the 12% creme peroxide, with bicarbonate of soda - plus leave it for 6 - 8 hour.

Wow.. The first photo is reminiscent of my wife's kit from a few years back. Thanks for posting, I'd cleaned mine last year, but a little disappointed with it still being tarnished so will give this a shot

niroshann

Club Member
And here is the engine bay after a bit of a clean. I bottled out of really giving it a proper wash as I was worried I would wreck my electrics, or upset the wiring by lifting to clean under it. So have still got my expensive new cable ties for the loom - for the next time.

Anyway the main improvement, other than the washer bottles and air cleaner was washing the underside of the bonnet and around the hinges.

Might even leave the bonnet open at the next show I go to! It won't win any prizes, but it is better than it was. Might paint the battery bracket and bonnet stay next, but MOT is on Tuesday morning.

4-clean_bay.jpg

5-clean_bay.jpg

Ped, I can park up next to yours and leave hood open to have a before and after comparison!

Reactions: Ped

uk66fastback

Club Member
That peroxide plus bicarb trick is a great thing to know ... I will try that on the 240 and the 944 - cos their overflow bottles go yellow over time as well ...

Ped

Club Member
That peroxide plus bicarb trick is a great thing to know ... I will try that on the 240 and the 944 - cos their overflow bottles go yellow over time as well ...

If you are having a go at this, would suggest the 12% peroxide stuff. Remember to wear gloves and goggles (elf & safety). Also, others have said to turn the water bottle every hour or two to make sure it is even. It seems you need the UV light for best results.