280zx distributor

mrzed

Club Member
I have decided to upgrade my 260z points distributor to a 280zx e12-80 one
But it is missing the base bit that bolts to the engine.
Can anyone please tell me if I need a 280zx base or will it work with the old 260z base

And if it needs a 280zx base does any one have a spare one I could buy
Cheers

uk66fastback

Club Member
I've done a little research on this and yes, I think you need the whole thing. Are you buying one new from anywhere or after a secondhand one - I'll possibly be in the same boat ...

Farmer42

Club Member
I used the one off my old points dizzy when I swapped it on my 260Z. It should unbolt from the main distributor body with 2 small bolts and bolt onto the one from a 280ZX.

There is a previous thread on the forum that shows how to wire it in but you will need to remove the ballast resistor and get a new higher rated coil. Mr F will advise as I think he can provide one.

richiep

Club Member
The dizzies are NLA. You need to hunt down a used one.

Yes, re: ballast resistor, you just join the wires. And use a 280ZX or other suitable coil. Obviously, you also need to provide power to the ignition module on the dizzy. There are tutorials knocking around various places on the Internet.

SacCyclone

Club Member
I can check with the local auto parts stores if you want to give me the year(s) 280ZX dizzy you are looking for.

I guess you will also need the E12-80 modules also??

yellowz

Club Member
I've looked at getting one from ebay.com but it went like bunny in the headlights......

There are so many at so many different prices - what is the difference if it's going onto a 240/260?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I've looked at getting one from ebay.com but it went like bunny in the headlights......

There are so many at so many different prices - what is the difference if it's going onto a 240/260?
The one with the E12-80 is just plug and play, others need some work. I think the problem is they have an ECU wire that controls the advance curve. I don't think it's insurmountable - there's some threads on it on one of the US forums.

johnymd

Club Member
I’m have some trouble getting a spark from an old 280zx distributor. It came fitted to a 280zx engine I bought so it’s never been tested. I’ve fitted it to a 260z engine I don’t get a spark. Wiring is as it should be with 12v , via tachometer, to 3ohm coil + then jumpered to module B (battery) terminal. C (coil) terminal goes to coil -. I get 12v on both ign and cranking. 12v on both coil + and - before cranking (which I would expect until the module earths the LT). I get a very small spark on initial cranking then nothing. I have a couple of spare new modules so I’ve tried one but all still the same. I have noticed that the coil is stone cold ever with the ignition on. Is that normal for a 280zx?

Any suggestions welcome as I’m running out of ideas.

Farmer42

Club Member
Have you checked that you have HT from the coil to the Dizzy Cap? Have you checked the cap and made sure that the spring loaded contact in the middle is making contact with the rotor arm? If all is ok and you have LT to the module, it sounds as though you have an issue with the internal parts which may be worn and not contacting somewhere. From my recollection (and I haven't looked at mine to confirm) there is a small wire from the module that runs inside the dizzy and screws down a bit like the points based dizzy. Is that all secure? There is a way of testing LT from there but I cant remember how without looking at mine which isn't possible at the moment.

The other thing to check is whether you have a ballast resistor. If so and you are getting spark on cranking, you may have a duff resistor that cuts power to the coil. If its rusty that would hamper it.

Finally, I notice that you are using a 3ohm coil. The 280ZX coils are 1.5ohm and when I used a 3ohm as recommended in various sources, it caused no end of problems with starting and running. It was totally cured when I swapped to a 1.5 ohm 280ZX OEM coil. Try swapping to a 1.5 to start with.

johnymd

Club Member
Good pointers, thanks.
I have connected a spark plug to the coil and just the same. I’ll try a 1.5ohm coil. I thought the 280zx coil was 3ohms.

Huw

Club Member
Could be a faulty pick up coil in the distributor. Likely it’s either that or the module.

As Paul pointed out ZX coil is 1.5 ohm (it’s actually less than that but a 1.5 will work ok)

This might help

3F466FAA-812A-4985-BFE3-594FE58FD635.jpeg