280z Rear Repair Panel. Fuel Tank Removal?

DanG

Forum User
I am working on a 280z and one of the first things I wanted to do was remove the large bumpers and replace them with smaller 240z style bumpers. After removing the rear it became apparent that I would need to replace the rear weld-in panel as the 280z version has rather large holes in it. When I weld the new panel in which I have ordered will I need to remove the fuel tank to be safe?

richiep

Club Member
Definitely on the tank I would've thought! :eek: petrol fumes and all that!

If you are talking about the holes in the valance pressing, e.g. For the bumper's mountings, and the horizontal vents, ZCarDepot in the US sells purpose-made blanking plates for them. They are pre-cut and just need butt-welding in to fill the holes. The kit is only $20. An alternative to replacing the whole valance?

If you are replacing the valance, is it a 240Z one you've ordered? As they have differences that make fitment not entirely straightforward on 260Z/280Z I believe. In fact, those pattern panels even introduce issues for 240Zs, as the cutout for the exhaust exit is in slightly the wrong place (causing me hassle when I fitted my FairladyZ with a finely made Fujitsubo exhaust!).

https://zcardepot.com/catalog/product/view/id/1684/s/bumper-delete-sheet-metal-plates-280z-75-78.html/category/341/