280z not listed in S30 forum

ozy

Well-Known Forum User
theres an S30 thread which headlines, 240/260, then it jumps to S130 as in the 280zx.

my nose is out of joint here as my 280Z isnt there. i feel unloved. im not sure if its a S30 / S31 chassis, dont care, but itd be nice to stick it in with the 240 and 260 area

Russ

Club Member
Hey,

The reason we have this is because we're primarily a UK club, and the 280z never made it here.

However seeing as we're web based and have members worldwide I'll correct that now, and it's an S30 :)

Cheers

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
so when the next person comes along with thier eccentric model and comments, surely Russ will again correct any omission......what about our 310Zs ?

Russ

Club Member
So why just stop at 280Z Russ :conf2:

Isn't that why we added "Including domestic market S30s and exports"

Well until I changed it yesterday it said something like European-domestic market which I wasn't sure included everything, and maybe might put off potential members from outside Europe.

so when the next person comes along with thier eccentric model and comments, surely Russ will again correct any omission......what about our 310Zs ?

Yeah sure I will. Ok if there are some 310Zs in the club or potential members I'll add them. 280Z is also good for SEO for our site which is something I want to concentrate on more after the bulk of the site changes are finished.

JakTheRuby

Club Member
I've also been looking into the dark art of search engine optimisation. Seeing as how meta tags do bugger all anymore it's something we need to look at. Image tags are a good start so calling a picture a name that contains a car model is important. I'll change all of the tags for the banners to to get this rolling.

Russ

Club Member
Yeah, thankfully I work for a web design company as well so I'll be roping some guys at work into helping us I think. Like you say it's all about content that is readable, for instance by a screen reader. Also we have a blind web user I believe so updating our alt tags etc would be a good idea to help him out. Thankfully vBulletin is pretty good for SEO for the forum content at least, it's trying to get us first page so if someone around the world googles "280z" they'll find us and hopefully join the party :)

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Well until I changed it yesterday it said something like European-domestic market which I wasn't sure included everything, and maybe might put off potential members from outside Europe.

Yes, it does appear you have changed more than just adding 280Z.

Actually "including non-european exports" (which it originally said) covers 280Z quite nicely.

I think the key word is "include", not to be mistaken with "exclude" - so why would that put people off.

Seems to me, if we are to have it YOUR way then YOU have a little more work to do me old mate :)

Russ

Club Member
:)

I know we've been here before and obviously reached the conclusion we did last time. But being internet only maybe we should position ourselves as a worldwide club more now? And then maybe list all the models. We're kinda gonna restructure the forums a bit soon so now is the time to get this right.

So ok say 280Z has now rocked the boat, and to be true to Zs all over (JDM, Europe, US, rest of Earth, space, everywhere) how many models are we talking about?

Bugger I just looked up in my books to try and find a useful list, I go to the index, find models, turn to the page and what do I get???

A bloody picture of Burnsey with 111 different Z car models on display!

Excuse my Z ignorance, but a definitive list would be

S30 - Z432R is it? 240Z, 240ZG, 260Z, 280Z ... erm ?

S130 - 280ZX

Z31 - 300ZX

Z32 - 300ZX

Z33 - 350Z

I've googled for said 310Z but didn't find anything so couldn't even tell you where that should fit, Z31? :conf2:

I checked our backups and it did say "Anything related to the 240Z or 260Z. Including domestic market S30s and other non-European exports.", I thought it was different. I've undone my changes for now and will worry about it some time :)

Last edited by a moderator:

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Fairlady ?

Personally I thought it had been summed up well enough for our needs. Anything more detailed over complicates things.

Russ

Club Member
Yeah maybe you're right, was just trying to be welcoming to a 280z owner. Maybe in future we can include a link to a "about the cars" section which will go into all the derivatives/models there :)

Mr.F

Inactive
OK - what about 200ZR and 300ZR? What about S31s? You're trying to fix something that wasn't broken - we are a UK site; each basic model code can be deemed to include its relatives from other markets.

Alternative argument - if UK only, then why include SWB Z32s and convertibles and other home market derivatives that we may not have even seen yet?

We're not going to please everyone, so keep it simple!

Russ

Club Member
Good point well made on the swb Z32s (boo hoo my poor car isn't loved) :)

Thanks for the reminder on the other models as well :)

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
my nose is out of joint here as my 280Z isnt there. i feel unloved. im not sure if its a S30 / S31 chassis, dont care, but itd be nice to stick it in with the 240 and 260 area

I'm a bit nonplussed as to why you'd write that you "don't care"....?

Seeing as this would have affected the cost of the price of the car in Japan, and will also affect it's value here in Europe - not to mention needing to correctly identify it both for registration and for insurance valuation - I would have thought knowing what you have really bought would be useful at the very least.

But why are you asking about a "280Z"? The auction sheet clearly identified the car as a 'C-S31' model Fairlady Z. That's what it is. It does not belong in a '280Z' slot, it belongs in a general S30-series Z pigeonhole, which includes the home market S31 sub-species.

You have bought a modified C-S31 Fairlady Z, and it probably started life as a 'Deluxe' or 'Custom Pack' Z-L variant. If I were you I'd be taking note of that fact and starting to get proud about it, rather than saying I don't care.......

Russ,
Beware talk of '280Z' models, as there were both S30-series and S130-series '280Z' models. The S30-series version was north American market only, and the S130-series version was a variant for the Japanese home market only.

ozy

Well-Known Forum User
I'm a bit nonplussed as to why you'd write that you "don't care"....?

Seeing as this would have affected the cost of the price of the car in Japan, and will also affect it's value here in Europe - not to mention needing to correctly identify it both for registration and for insurance valuation - I would have thought knowing what you have really bought would be useful at the very least.

But why are you asking about a "280Z"? The auction sheet clearly identified the car as a 'C-S31' model Fairlady Z. That's what it is. It does not belong in a '280Z' slot, it belongs in a general S30-series Z pigeonhole, which includes the home market S31 sub-species.

You have bought a modified C-S31 Fairlady Z, and it probably started life as a 'Deluxe' or 'Custom Pack' Z-L variant. If I were you I'd be taking note of that fact and starting to get proud about it, rather than saying I don't care.......

Russ,
Beware talk of '280Z' models, as there were both S30-series and S130-series '280Z' models. The S30-series version was north American market only, and the S130-series version was a variant for the Japanese home market only.

this is why i dont care. people are far too precious about it.

if i say to regular folks, "oh ive a fairlady z", they wont have a clue. if i say 240z, then they know, if i say 280z then they start to ask whats that. if i say anything, someone else contradicts it. as topgear say, if people ask, then its not worth it.

there are so many people correcting this one way or the other and the reason i stated i dont care is to stop this crap talk.
no-one has ever called it a C-S31, only on my auction sheet. this also contradicts the first reply stating that its an S30.
maybe the question i should have posed is as follows "wheres the fairlady Z area"

instead of trying to be super precise with forum labels, things should be a little more general. i dont know. i just felt that either way my car was not listed. whether its considered to be a 280 or fairlady or whatever.

maybe i should call it a 300Z as others like to change as their engine sizes change. mines a 3.0.

so i dont really care. and dont tell me what to be proud about. its a cool car and no more.

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
ozy,
We have been here before...but you miss the point. If we as a club can't differ between specifics of models and where they were exported to/home markets, mis-information develops (and there has been plenty), and then someone searching the archives here in 10/20/30 yrs time won't know what they are looking at, what is correct or wrong. If you say you have a "fairlady Z", and they don't have a clue, tell them, or otherwise you might as well drive "a car". There is plenty of room for peoples opinion on what they want to call their Z, but some facts please. Otherwise I might as well say I drive a 240z....which I am not going to do as it is different in too many ways..

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
this is why i dont care. people are far too precious about it.

"Far too precious"........?

You can't have it both ways my friend. You'll be the first one scratching your head and asking questions when your car turns up and you want to identify some of the parts that were / are / should be fitted to it, and you need to find part numbers or other data for it. Those people you are calling "too precious" are the kind of people that have parts lists, wiring diagrams and even spare parts for your C-S31 Fairlady Z-L.

ozy said:
there are so many people correcting this one way or the other and the reason i stated i dont care is to stop this crap talk.
no-one has ever called it a C-S31, only on my auction sheet. this also contradicts the first reply stating that its an S30.

But it is technically part of the S30-series. It's an S31, and a C-S31 at that. It falls into the S30-series group. What you don't seem to understand is that the term 'S30' was used to identify a series and the standard 'S30' model Fairlady Z-L introduced in late 1969. Either you take this on board or not - it is ultimately your decision, but don't bite any of the hands that are offering you advice on the subject. You are also going to need to sort out who knows what they are talking about and who does not. The ball is in your court on that one.

ozy said:
so i dont really care. and dont tell me what to be proud about. its a cool car and no more.

It was given as well intentioned advice. If you don't recognise that intention then you are making a mistake. But FFS stop saying that you "don't care", as you obviously do.