280z Gearbox Change to Semi

Herc34es

Club Member
Hello everyone (new here),

I've been trying very hard to get my hands on a Datsun, and this time I might be lucky!

There is one question that I have and I would really like your honest opinions. Most of them that I have found, or at least the ones now that I have seen, are all manual. Not that I have anything against it, but I have suffered severe damage to my right elbow and it has lost 50% mobility. I can drive semi-autos now (that's what I have) with my condition, but fully manuals are super hard/painful on me for more than 5 minutes. I want a semi cause at least the movement is minimal that i do and it has more control compared to a full auto.

Thus I was wondering, is there any sort of semi-auto that can handle and fit the 280z :/ or the Z cars in general. (I am trying to get a Z or ZX which ever comes first).

Thank you kindly

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
I don’t think he’s got one yet Sean.

Hello,

Dumb question perhaps, but I’m not sure I even know what semi-auto is. I’ve got tiptronic in my Audi, but just assume thats auto.

A RHD (harder to find) would perhaps be an option, as gear stick on the left and with the addition of power steering as Sean mentioned, that would surely help. But, harder to find and more expensive.

Why not just go full auto? These cars are typically cheaper; and you see them come up for sale from time to time.

Curious what semi-auto is?

Cheers, Graeme

Herc34es

Club Member
That is absolutely right, I will definitely get my self a power steering kit.

I haven't gotten it yet but I have really high hopes!! The ones I have seen are USA imports. Ideally I need to find a UK Drive :/.

The semi auto (at least that's what I have had so far) is a stick that i simply push up and thus the car shifts gear up, or when i push down -> gear down. If I am too lazy it can go full auto. It give a bit more control than a full auto.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
The semi auto (at least that's what I have had so far) is a stick that i simply push up and thus the car shifts gear up, or when i push down -> gear down. If I am too lazy it can go full auto. It give a bit more control than a full auto.

With the S30 auto, you can push and pull the lever to change the gears yourself : 1 then 2 then D and back down again !

Do a RHD conversion and fit power-steering and stay 5sped :)

peter_s

Club Member
Sequential boxes are pretty expensive and could possibly cost a fair bit more than a RHD conversion.
HGT Precision do 5 or 6 speed sequentials with L-series bell housings.

https://www.hgtprecision.com/
I was also thinking about a sequential solution. The problem with sequential boxes is not just cost in terms of purchase, but running costs. They need to be rebuilt after every 5000km normally.