280z Front/Rear Bumper Brackets drawings

Nash

Club Member
I thought its finally time I make a contribution to the forum. As with most other 280z owners I had to have the early style bumpers, but couldn't justify spending over a hundred pounds+ shipping and decided to make my own conversion brackets.

The attached PDF files are the final design as fitted to my car, I`ve included a couple of photos below so if anyone decides to use them they can get an idea of the fitment. The brackets are made from stainless steel sheets I bought off of ebay for a total of £19.80 - 2mm for the fronts and 1.5mm for the rears. I had some bolts laying around that fitted nicely, so not sure what the exact sizes were.

The brackets were cut with a grinder and bent to shape with a DIY sheet metal bending brake I made for this. You can not make a nice bend on 2mm steel by hand, trust me I tried and failed.

upload_2021-7-2_23-25-23.png upload_2021-7-2_23-26-44.png

Bumpers were bought new from zcardepot.com and I`ve had them on the car for over a year now without fail.

Forgot to mention earlier, these fit to the original fixing points front and rear and do not require any drilling or modifications to the car.

Attachments

• 280z Front Bracket.pdf
    24.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 280z Rear RH Bracket.pdf
    21.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 280z Rear LH Bracket.pdf
    21.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Nash

Club Member
Fantastic, thank you. Are you able to download the CAD files or are they too big?
Steve, I'm away at the moment but can upload them in a couple of weeks. Don't think the files were too large.

If you print them in the size noted, some were A4 and some A3, they should come out with correct dimensions. Just cut them off and trace on a steel sheet.

atomman

Club Member
I just did some models in Solidworks of these for you guys but the forum wont let me upload the .SOLIDPART files for some reason ?

Or .DXF files as i have just tried them to ?

Last edited:

Geoff-R

Club Member
I just did some models in Solidworks of these for you guys but the forum wont let me upload the .SOLIDPART files for some reason ?

Or .DXF files as i have just tried them to ?

Don't suppose you've done these to the bolt hole spec of the 260z? LH looks same on the 260, RH pattern, I think, but could be wrong is different on the 260 to the 280.

atomman

Club Member
Don't suppose you've done these to the bolt hole spec of the 260z? LH looks same on the 260, RH pattern, I think, but could be wrong is different on the 260 to the 280.

Sorry Geoff , I just made the models from the original posters drawings , if you have measurements i can change what's needed and email them over to you ?

Geoff-R

Club Member
Sorry Geoff , I just made the models from the original posters drawings , if you have measurements i can change what's needed and email them over to you ?

I see. I think the PDFs @Nash kindly posted are specific to the 280z. My understanding is that the 260z and 240z have the same bolt hole pattern which is basically a repeat of the LH bracket posted above, however, just wondering if it's as simple as copying the centre 2 bolt holes from the LH bracket to the RH bracket as the measurements are slightly different between the two brackets. Ideally I'd love to be able to give the PDFs to a local company to laser cut and shape them and just bolt up but in hindsight I'm wondering if that would work out any cheaper than just buying the brackets online?

Nik

Club Member
This is brilliant, will give this a go on my 280z, have some 240 bumpers waiting to go on.

Steve L

Club Member
Steve, I'm away at the moment but can upload them in a couple of weeks. Don't think the files were too large.

If you print them in the size noted, some were A4 and some A3, they should come out with correct dimensions. Just cut them off and trace on a steel sheet.
Thank you Nash

Steve L

Club Member
Thanks for trying Nash. Fabricator made them from the drawings. Thanks again for posting this, very helpful. Just need to wait for the bumpers to arrive from Vietnam now!