280z engine judder

chris frizzell

Club Member
hi all just a quick question when out on Sunday for a spin to a local car show car run great . on the way back home car was running strong good oil pressure and temp normal but it was very hot outside . Put my foot down to go up hill when the car juddered two times so throught it better to go home . it did it two times more . when i got home the engine bay was red hot . can the car suffer from heat soak and was it evapouration the fuel in the injection manifold ? any ideas thanks chris

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I suspect hot fuel yeah - however are you still Fi? Take it out on a cool day and check.

Last edited:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
That's why I asked if still Fi.

Where do 280Zs draw their air from - in front of the rad isn't it?
I think so, like 280zx with air cleaner out in front of rad. So shouldn't be drawing hot air either if everything working right.

chris frizzell

Club Member
hi all just a update car has got standard efi and is mainly new also running a k&n filter so may be taking in lots of hot air . going to take it for a blast to see if it will do it again but hot makes sense . chris

Huw

Club Member
hi all just a quick question when out on Sunday for a spin to a local car show car run great . on the way back home car was running strong good oil pressure and temp normal but it was very hot outside . Put my foot down to go up hill when the car juddered two times so throught it better to go home . it did it two times more . when i got home the engine bay was red hot . can the car suffer from heat soak and was it evapouration the fuel in the injection manifold ? any ideas thanks chris

Chris

No the FI system will not suffer from evaporation.

I would suggest the ‘stumbling’ under acceleration is probably an air leak in the inlet somewhere. See below for other suspects.

6DCA45E7-2E90-4E71-8CFA-1B8BF63F76AA.jpeg

Hot air will not effect the operation of the EFI system unless the air flow meter temp sensor is faulty.

If your engine is running that hot I would flush the block and rad, check the thermostat and fan clutch operation.

chris frizzell

Club Member
all running great but i will look for a leak when i fit the new exhaust . not had the car finish long and iam getting use too driving it dont like being in a high gear so may be too high geat and 32c temp may be the problem thanks for all posts Chris