280 not starting

Tee

Well-Known Forum User
Hi chaps, just wanted to run something by you, I left my 280 at a garage and they didn't start it for a while, now it's not starting, there's fuel in there, battery is fully charged, it turns over nicely, no hesitation or mis-firing, just doesn't start. Best way I can describe it is when immobiliser kicks in so the engine turns but doesn't start.

I've taken off what I believe to be the fuel pipe, it's quite a thick pipe on passenger side near the bulkhead, no petrol getting through. I'm assuming fuel pump.. Any ideas?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
dumb question I know: is there petrol in the tank?
it wouldn't be the first time a garage borrowed the petrol from a customer car....
if there is, then I guess check the pump - I don't know 280zx, but I expect its near the tank - you should be able to hear it pumping when you crank it.
if they were working near the back, perhaps it got disconnected...

Jon

Tee

Well-Known Forum User
Yep I filled up the tank so it's not that, Can't hear
much when I turn over so I think it's petrol pump, anyone know where it is?

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
should be up near the fuel tank,sometimes you can tap it with a hammer and it will start.

AndyMinto

Inactive
Are we talking about a 280z or a 280zx here? For the 280zx I believe the fuel pump is inside the tank. When you first turn the ignition on (but not far enough to crank the engine) you should hear quite a loud buzz of the fuel pump. This will stop after about 5 seconds once everything is up to pressure.

Mr.F

Inactive
For the 280zx I believe the fuel pump is inside the tank.

No so - it is ahead of the tank on the RH side. Follow the hoses from the tank forward and you'll find it on a bracket with its associated fuel damper. It is in an exposed position and prone to rusting up and failure.

In tank pumps began with the Z31 models.

Tee

Well-Known Forum User
Just an update -

I've changed the fuel pump
Sorted the relay
Changed the wires and connectors on the fusible links

Car started up and drove! and then switched off again in the middle of a very narrow road :( I am very close to setting it on fire

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
So it at least it now fires up and drives for a while
How long after starting up did it run before it cut out
Will it start up again after a hour or so after it cutting out

Tee

Well-Known Forum User
Started straight away having been stood for 5 days, cut off after 8 minutes, then waited 5/10 minutes and it started n cut off straight away.. Could it be battery/battery terminals etc. Only thing is even when it shuts off the lights still come on, apart from the ignition lights

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Started straight away having been stood for 5 days, cut off after 8 minutes, then waited 5/10 minutes and it started n cut off straight away.. Could it be battery/battery terminals etc. Only thing is even when it shuts off the lights still come on, apart from the ignition lights

being a technical numperty so disregard any thing I say but does not the 280zx need a certain fuel pressure to start and make the injectors work correctly
If so would it point to the pressure not being constant
Also isnt the 280 system vacuum controlled and if there is a leak somewhere would this not cause the car to engine to die after a short while

No doubt what i am saying will be totally incorrect and everybody will take the urine

But the best advise I could give is phone up Mr.F and try and talk though the series of things that happen when you start the car and sure he would have the answer

Last edited by a moderator:

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
you could try fitting an inline transparent fuel filter,that way you can check for flow and crap coming down the fuel lines

2fast2z

Well-Known Forum User
Tee, when it cuts out, try to touch the ignintion coil, if it's burning hot, it's probably your problem.

Not saying thats the issue, but i have seen it before, coil work until it get's hot and then cut out, when it have cooled for 5 - 10 minutes it will work again.

Chris

Mr.F

Inactive
you could try fitting an inline transparent fuel filter,

Not a safe suggestion on an injection system. The pressure is more than 10x what plastic filters would normally run at on a carb system. There are more robust glass bodied units available, but still really designed for carbs... If you suspect the filter, just change it.

This still sounds like an electrical issue to me - like a relay cutting off the power and then recovering.

Tee

Well-Known Forum User
Doesn't seem fuel related, the car runs fine for the while it runs, plus when it switches off it just dies, ignition lights don't even come on and on turning the key the fuel pump doesn't kick in. It's gotta be electrical/ignition related.

2fast2z I suppose it could be coil, I'll check tomorrow, where abouts is it located?

2fast2z

Well-Known Forum User
Tee look at your distributor cap, it's the round thing where the spark plug wires end, in the middle of that cap, is a wire (HT lead) going to the coil.

Please make one thing clear, when this happen, does the car cut off all of the electrical system ?

Chris

Tee

Well-Known Forum User
Cheers dudes I'm gonna check that today.

2fast yes when the car cuts out everything goes dead (engine cuts out aswell as all electrics)

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
Tee: You say you have sorted the relay. I'm assuming you mean the pump relays. There is also an ignition relay under the dash right hand side. Also the ignition module on the side of the distributor can cause the sort of problems you are experiencing.