260z

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
Seems a shame to break an apparently good running Z just because of a few areas of rust. Of course the full story isn't shown in those pics, "what's it like underneath?!". Also if the car has been "enthusiastically maintained" why is it rusty and why is it on SORN?!!

Still it's only a 2+2! ;)

flame suit on, hiding in nuclear bunker :D

Cheers,
Rob

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
You are right there Black bug. All 260s suffer from the same serious problem especially the 2+2. Hence the low price.
280ZXs have the same problem but it is much worse in them.

Wyn

Club Member
Gotta nice bumper on it
err.gif

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
the 2 seaters will be worth less in years to come as there will be none in standard trim!:p

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
"Oh YES there will be" shouts the audience back to Grolls on stage!!
Pantomine season approaches!

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Hmmmmmmm got a good point grolls. Tha Japanese car pictures I have seen recently are all very original and pristine looking - the US and UK ones seem to stray from the authentic quite a lot.

Hey Ho !

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
if you were to put a 100% bog standard car up against a car in the same condition that has has masses of mods my mind tells me the standard car would be worth more be it a 2 seater or a 2+2! may the debate start.

best i get on and finnish mine before the world runs out of petrol and i have to convert it to a chicken poo muncher! .....lol

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
Well I think the debate is more on the lines of what mods detract from a vehicles values and what mods enhance (or at least make no difference) to the value and what mods can be considered just plain desirable.

The absolute purist collectors market is very small I believe, as are the numbers of absolutley stock Zs out there. I suspect the majority of purchasers these days are buying the cars because of their looks, classic status and their degree of performance.

However certain areas of the cars can be improved on, I believe in a way that won't detract from their value. Most cars are going to need new shock inserts, so why buy old technology when new technology is available? The stock brakes were adequate (just) in the 70s, can they really be described as adequate for today's traffic conditions? What constitutes a mod there? Does putting improved performance pads on stock disks ruin a car? Does putting slightly larger disks and calipers on from other cars of the Z period detract even though they make the car safer?

So how far on the scale of modding can really be considered detrimental to the value?

On the other hand highly modded cars can be sold but like the totally original examples are only desired by a smaller market. Let's take Mark Rayner's twin turbo beasty as an example. It's one of the more extreme raod cars in the country but you could hardly say it isn't worth as much as a stock example! I bet the majority of members in the club wouldn't object if Mark's car happened to be in their garage ;)

Ah, don't you just love an early Sunday morning debate? :D

Cheers,
Rob

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
are people saying that a bog standard car is valued at more than one of the three james taylor cars that 4ways did or more than big sam or evil kneviels car if they are I think they need to seriously think again
there is no doubt in my mind that if any of these cars where in the same auction at the same time as say a bog standard car that the modified car would go for a lot more money

stands back and await the torrents of abuse from purists

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
no steve, those cars are only worth the money because of who owns them ! i was meaning stuff like arch kits,massif spoilers, loads a lights,fluffy dice....ya know like yours .....lol:D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
No purists, no Beckists and no goertzism ! Lots of flying pigs though aiming to be sliced into spam !