260z Valve Rocker Guide

Stockdale

Club Member
Don't know whether this is a one-off or something more common but would appreciate comment. Slowing toward a junction a couple of weeks ago the engine ('74 260z) developed a very loud tapping beneath the rocker cover. I managed to get the car home and lifted the cover to find one of the rocker guides had come adrift and was lying beneath the cam. I have managed to re-install it and the engine runs fine but clearly something must be wrong for it to have come adrift.

Any thoughts you guys might have would be very much appreciated :unsure:.

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
By "guide" I assume you mean the lashpad on top of the valve spring. Before you put it back did you examine it for damage eg lip edges broken or missing. Suggest you put new ones in but make sure you get the right ones for the cam, ie the correct thickness.

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
It would appear to be a result of too much clearance from the Rocker Arm/Lash Pad.
Check them all to Manufacturer's tolerances before another one goes.
The standard spec ones are generally pretty reliable.

Unless you have a non-standard Cam, of course, as Nigel says, which may require different Lash Pads.

Stockdale

Club Member
Thanks for your help. Being an oldie I tend to use older terminology and 'rocker guide' is the vintage term for the American equivalent 'lash pad' (which on reflection is probably more descriptive of its function). Not sure whether or not the cam is standard or not although I am aware that the car was fitted with triple webers at one stage before being converted back to 240z spec SU type twins.

Lash-pad' lip edges seem fine so i'll lift out the offending pad and measure its thickness. Any idea what a standard 'new' measurement might be and where I might source replacements?