260z rack rebuilder?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I reckon my steering rack may be worn or in need of adjustment - it's always been a bit twitchy on uneven roads, but I think it's getting worse.
Anyone know a business in UK that rebuilds them? or am I best converting to something more modern?

I've got a BMW E36 rack available, and I've read they can be swapped in. Any one tried one of those?

Ta,

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jon, just check the bushes that hold the rack to the crossmember first.

Get someone to turn the steering wheel left and right to see what the rack does.

Just a thought because from experience they can soften alarmingly.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Franky - no, it's an original 260z rack - no power steering. (although my E36 rack is powered).

Rob, yeah, I changed those bushes last year but it didn't make any difference. It turned out it already had urethane bushes put in fairly soon before I acquired it.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Rob, yeah, I changed those bushes last year but it didn't make any difference. It turned out it already had urethane bushes put in fairly soon before I acquired it.

Ok, it was just that my first 240Z was giving your symptoms and the rack was fine, I changed the bushes and the column coupler and it was transformed.

Track-rod ends, steering-wheel nut lose?

It's perhaps still worth getting someone to turn the wheel for you whilst you investigate.

I know you are very handy with these cars but rack wear is not often mentioned on here.

Good Luck.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Thanks Rob. You're right -there's very little on the internet about the racks, which makes you think they rarely need fettling. I'll take your advice and investigate more.

Ta

Ian

Club Member
Had this problem on mine recently, even though I'd recently fitted poly rack bushings when you moved the wheel the rack would slide about, made the steering feel horrible.

I stuffed extra rubber over the bushings, yet to get a chance to test if it has worked yet.

Get someone to move the steering wheel while you watch the rack,

Mr.F

Inactive
Racks have been incredibly reliable over the years. However, reconditioned racks are now regularly available if it turns this is what you need. Call...