260z on Ebay

Wyn

Club Member
Shame no pics under the bonnet now after the respray ?

Have a good look at that bulkhead area just to be sure :rolleyes:

johnymd

Club Member
Always abit warry about a car thats just been painted. Especially when they paint over locks and stuff. Still worth a look though.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Last edited by a moderator:

richiep

Club Member
Those wheels will be worth a few quid if they're genuine SSR Mk2's

First thing I noticed too. They do seem to be SSR MK2s, so quite rare in the UK.

As Johnny says, its probably worth a look, but I'd worry its the kind of project where you could end up spending time and money redoing a lot of the work already done. The rear valance isn't great (its asymmetrical for a start - look at the different corner shapes), there's a sheet steel plate welded into the passenger floor, and as Wyn alluded to, in the pre-work pics, some unpleasant looking rust outbreaks on the bulkhead (although that particular photo is now missing from the listing....). Wonder what other welding has been done underneath?The seller does also already note that the roof and bonnet need respraying due to bubbles.

Basically, could be good, but could be a bit of a pain...

richiep

Club Member
Yep. We often get people on here saying they want a project and this may be able to 'fit the bill'

We could all rip into this car (as usual) but it may just be good enough to make a decent car.

If any one is interested, have a look at this:

http://zclub.net/forum/showthread.php?p=219848#post219848

an give me a PM if you want to discuss this car.

Sorry Rob - maybe what I just said might qualify as ripping into it? Depending on how low that particular bar is set for critical discussion these days... :unsure:

It might make a decent car - maybe someone local to Stevenage will take a look and report back? It's healthy to be sceptical though with some of these cars as so many have been repaired badly and people diving in without their eyes open can be headed for a world of hurt.

It would be refreshing if a UK project car actually came up that didn't have the usual array of nasties waiting to be discovered.

richiep

Club Member
The interesting thing is if that was a 240z they'd be a bid or two on it by now.

I'm surprised there hasn't been any bidding yet - but you are probably right. I think the same could be said for those two US import 260Zs that have been sitting on eBay for a few weeks now. They are both very reasonable prices but are still sitting there. If they were 240s, I'm sure at least one of them would've gone by now. 260 2-seaters suffer a bit unfairly it seems.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Sorry Rob - maybe what I just said might qualify as ripping into it? Depending on how low that particular bar is set for critical discussion these days... :unsure:

Rich, I just know how this Thread could develop. That isn't too bad if we are not 'ripping into' a Member's car but it may be a member's car?

Of course a member may buy it and so should be guided by other members. So what do we do - start from the back and work our way forward pointing out all the good, bad and ugly? It's a difficult one really.

richiep

Club Member
When an ad like that is posted and gives us something to discuss we can only go off what we see. And those of us who've been around these cars for some time will know where to look and thus spot the bad more easily - maybe that makes these threads seem overly critical? On balance, the good might outweigh the bad with that car - but the things highlighted here might help someone who goes to look at it adopt a more careful, critical approach so that they can weigh up whether such a project is right for them - risk versus reward (which may differ from personal to person based on their needs, skills, money, etc.). Clearly it's better to discuss these things when such a car is still for sale than after purchase when the bills are rolling in...

If I lived near Stevenage, I'd go and have a look myself, even if it was just to report back to this forum tbh. I don't though so someone else will have to perform that public service as inquiring minds probably want to know!

Tony 260Z

Club Member
Well it looks a lot more solid than mine turned out to be once restoration started!!! Rear valence oddness is a concern - you'd think they'd have realised - and thick underseal can hide all manner of horrors as we know (mine did!). Why take the car as far as they have and then sell before completion? I'd have rather seen the car before the re-spray, but it does have potential. Time doesn't worry me but it all boils down to £££ doesn't it!

Stockdale

Club Member
Just my own take but there seems always to be a notion that bidders intend to bring things back to good order but the reality is that many investors (whether cars or otherwise) are not remotely interested. It can (and usually is) purely about making money.

Recently heard about a Lotus buyer who (given the cars place in the massive price rise in certain models over the past few years) just bought and put into store without even attempting to start it up. Sold a year later with a 70% mark up!

At the right price to take ownership of a pile (working or otherwise) and then to sell it (maybe doing or adding one or two useful bits) can easily make a very handsome profit and well in excess of the pathetic rates available by banks or Government sponsored schemes.

Properly restoring these cars I think (and certainly from my own experience) will result in a real financial loss. They do look great though :thumbs:

Wyn

Club Member
Well depending what you do with it you could get a few £ back on the rims, carbs, flywheel n ported n drilled head (never seen one of those) :D
So it could be a good buy as the shell wouldn't owe you as much ?

But you might want to make a note of the description n pics (esp the ones that go missing tut tut) before they change again lol

Before you know it you'll be bidding on a bluebird lol :D

richiep

Club Member
Well depending what you do with it you could get a few £ back on the rims, carbs, flywheel n ported n drilled head (never seen one of those) :D

And replace them with what? You don't have to turn these cars into 1 million BHP hybrids you know - it's not against the rules... :p :rofl:

MaximG - do it. It'd be good to have some real intel on the car. :thumbs:

Wyn

Club Member
And replace them with what? You don't have to turn these cars into 1 million BHP hybrids you know - it's not against the rules... :p :rofl:

It's not, but it would be a good way to bring it out of the stone age :D

that should upset a few .... ;)