260Z non-runner at auction - estimate £18-22k!

uk66fastback

Club Member
Link not working - is that the bronze one though that failed to garner any interest a month or so ago - I think Chris Vega saw it in the flesh at H&H?

status

Well-Known Forum User
I was looking at that,thought Ii might have a sniff,but if paint is blistering then as the dragons say at that price ,I'm out,also considering converting a lhd to RHD,need a bit of info on that ,anyone?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Looks like a good car, I might go along.

Is that heater control panel 'half out' or is it distorted due to the camera lens? To me it appears to be facing the passenger.

johnymd

Club Member
If we are going to be really picky, the front bumper could do with being lowered on the drivers side. I'm guessing the only reason the estimate is this high is due to only 8000 miles on the clock. How much do people consider this would be if it had say 50,000 on it and was still in similar condition.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
8k or 180k shouldn't make much difference imo. It's all about condition surely at this age.

johnymd

Club Member
I would agree with you on that Jon. I've never liked low mileage cars as you find yourself not wanting to use them as you add mileage. I would guess the person looking for a very low mileage car is the investor and not the enthusiast.

status

Well-Known Forum User
If it ain't perfect then price is a bit high and as jon says low mileage cars are not always the car to go for

richiep

Club Member
I'll join the chorus. The mileage is providing for some good marketing copy for the auctioneers (who lets face it, most of the time borrow from the same descriptive playbook as estate agents!), but their own condition report paints a picture of a car that needs a lot of work. Thus, the price looks weighted to the high side for a car that needs full mechanical overhaul, bodywork and paint.

It may only have 8k on the clock, but likelihood is that engine still needs popping open and going through thoroughly, along with everything else, so it becomes little different to a car with 50-100k on it, all else being equal.

So - fails to make its estimate or reserve (if there is one)? Gets bought and flipped for a daft mark up (with or without some remedial work)? Someone actually buys it and does it justice but at great personal expense?

I'm getting so cynical.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Does anyone seriously believe it is a genuine 8000miles car ?

Add 100,000 and yes, condition and servicing count for more than (genuine) low mileage in my view too - low mileage often means little or no servicing and car need to be driven - it's their 'raison d'être' !

uk66fastback

Club Member
It better have the MOT history to substantiate the low mileage. But what is low mileage if the rest of the car wants a great deal of time and money spending on it?

Not a lot in my book.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I went to view and evaluated the 3 Datsun cars.

The 260Z is indeed very original and would make a fantastic car. It's a non-runner and would need time and money to re-commission. The paint work (respray some time ago) is blistering and has evidence of water under the paint (worms).

It's all there and lovely. The engine-bay needs tidying but no rot.

I would have given £15k, removed engine to tidy it up but not resprayed it. So perhaps £17k to get it on the road. I think at £25k plus fees it sold for was high!

The GTO rep was a dog and sold for £2.5k Best thing to do with that is weld it up and track it.

The red LHD 240Z was ok, no major issues. It was a 4 speed which I mentioned to the Auction House which they notified on a sheet. The most alarming thing was that it had a notice on the screen that said 'no oil'. It sold for £15k I think - too strong IMO but a good body.