260Z freeze / core plug rusted in place, how to get it out?

ZAndy

Club Member
Hi all,

I thought I had a simple job to tick off today and had a go at removing a core plug that had a tiny hole in it leaking coolant. I'd watched videos of people hammering a screwdriver or something similar and the plug twisting so you can get pliers on them and pull them out. That would have been a nice simple job for me to handle.

I used a socket extension about 6mm thick, tapping at the bottom it was denting the plug more than twisting it. I then got a screwdriver, medium size probably, a fat screwdriver would have been nice but I don't have one stubby enough to still have room to hammer. The screwdriver pierced the freeze plug instead of twisting it.

I've resisted going too far at this point, fearing I could piece most of the plug and not have enough structure to pull it out, IF I can get do something to get it twisting out finally.

I took a couple of photos, hopefully there's still a decent way to get it out. But if anyone knows that at this point it's a lot of work to get out, I might ask the local garage to finish the job. Similarly, if anyone knows any other tricks to get it out when it's got to this stage, any help is hugely appreciated.

There's another question related to this so I'll add it here rather than start another thread. I flushed the coolant of the engine and radiator a while ago, got it pretty clear and filled it back up with new coolant. So the amount of rusty gunk being this plug was a hit of a surprise. Shouldn't this be nice looking coolant behind the plug? When I drained the radiator before tackling the freeze plug, the coolant was pretty clear, didn't indicate anything like this somewhere in the system. Right now my priority is the freeze plug ready for winter, but feels like I'll have another obstacle to get the coolant system completely clear of crud.

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• IMG_20190921_183641.jpg
    IMG_20190921_183641.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20190921_183619.jpg
    IMG_20190921_183619.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 49

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I'd take that hose and the oil pressure sender off and start hitting the core plug on the lip somewhere with a small cold chisel. I'd think that'd get it to turn. If not, drive it in that hole and lever it out.
I don't think there's much that can go wrong.

RawlinSTR

Club Member
Agree with what Jon said, you want to try to get the plug spinning in place by hitting the lip somewhere.

When I did mine I managed to break through some of them like you did - I just put a screwdriver through the hole and used the screwdriver to lever it out.

As for getting all the gunk out, the way the water jacket is designed in the block means you'll never get it all out with just a coolant flush. The only way to make sure it's all out is to remove all of the core plugs and hose it all out.

As long as your water is running clear in the radiator and there are no blockages, I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point.

Geoff-R

Club Member
As has been said above when I needed to remove mine I just drove the screw driver in to the plug and twisted/levered it out that way. Came out a treat. Not a lot will go wrong, good luck.

ZAndy

Club Member
Thanks Geoff. Reassuring there's not much can go wrong for this job.

I've got it out with a socket extension on the lip, only when the oil sensor was off could I get the right angle and purchase. Twisted relatively easily then.

Thanks all.
Andy

IMG_20190922_144106.jpg IMG_20190922_145622.jpg

ZAndy

Club Member
Thanks Geoff. Reassuring there's not much can go wrong for this job.

Good work! What's the procedure for replacement? Just cleaning up the hole and then drifting a new one in?

Yeah seems so. I've got it in but it's not as far in as the previous one was. Leaving it for a day or so and I'll check for leaks, and hammer in further if there are any. IMG_20190922_170748.jpg IMG_20190922_173118.jpg

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Look at that! Something made in USA and measured in mm.
I put a little film of rtv around the lip of the plug before fitting.