260z Electric Fuel Pumps

Farmer42

Club Member
Hi

Does anyone know what electric fuel pump should be used on a 260Z? The one I have is making a racket and drowns out the engine.

It pumps fuel ok and I have serviced it and tried thicker rubber mounting washers to reduce the noise but didn't work. I have decided it maybe time for a new one unless someone can suggest something else to stop the noise.

There are loads of pumps out there but I'm not sure what I am looking for. The current one is cylindrical but I don't think it is original and there are no markings or info on it. Would one of those smaller in-line ones do the job? I have noticed that 260z comes with both mech and electric pumps but I don't have the mech attached at the moment.

Any advice would be appreciated and also where to get one.

Cheers
Paul

datsfun

Club Member
Where is your current pump located ? Is it in the engine bay or (as preferred) under the car near the fuel tank which not only conceals it but also less intrusive from a noise perspective. Also what make is it? Normally the " Facet" red top type pumps are more than adequate for normal fast road duty.

Farmer42

Club Member
Thanks Guys

It seems that I currently have the Rotary vane type, not dissimilar to the Carter shown in the link but I don't think it is that make. The car came from California so it wouldn't surprise me if it was fitted there. Although it is supposed to be the quieter of the 2 types, this one is like an outboard motor.

It's bolted to the chassis at the rear near the tank which is probably why I'm getting so much noise in the cab. I have had a look at the Facet pumps and will probably go for a silver top with a fuel regulator costing somewhere in the region of £130. I will post up the results when I have fitted it.

Cheers
Paul

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
You know i have exactly the same issue

Pump has become really really noisy in the last couple of weeks especially when warm,......I cannot drive the car because of it.

Planted up by the tank.

Be interested to hear your solution

It looks like a new pump too.

datsfun

Club Member
I believe the carter pump is genereally noisier...I would look at replacements by walbro\ Facet. And a regulator incase the flow rate of new pump is higher than older unit.

Farmer42

Club Member
Bit the bullet and ordered a Facet Silver Top Rally/Race and a Sytec Flo-Pro Fuel Pressure Regulator Carburettor 1-5psi from a company here in sunny Brizzle called Fuel Pumps Online. They seemed to be the cheapest supplier and the total bill was a reasonable £108.

Hopefully it should arrive in a day or so and I will fit it asap weather-permitting (wish I had a workshop!!).Will keep you posted of the results although a mate of mine said he fitted one of these pumps to his MGB and it made a huge difference so I am hopeful.

Farmer42

Club Member
Update:

Fuel pump arrived after a couple of days and it has taken until now to find the time to fit it.

Had to make up a bracket to bolt it to the car but apart from that it works perfectly. I can still hear it when the car is running but nowhere near the level of noise that I had with the old one. It's more putt-putt than roar now.

The bonus is that it doesn't seem to need a fuel regulator. I fitted one but took it back off again and it works fine.

All in all, this was a success worth the investment.Would recommend this type of pump and the company that I bought it from.

Good luck!