260Z - Early/Late Strut differences

s2k_adz

Club Member
260Z - Early/Late Strut differences in length? Please help!

Hey guys!

Im changing to coilovers on my 1978 260Z and I was looking to change the struts to coilovers. I don't want to cut into the struts particularly to change them and wanted to get a backup set to cut up. I know my struts are the 55mm later model ones.

Ive been told the later 260Z also had a longer rear strut? What year did this change take place?

Does it matter what struts I cut up to fit the car early or late as long as I buy the correct coilovers? I guess the length is subjective to were on the original strut I cut it to weld the coilover? Do I HAVE to stick with the late stuff in order to mate it fit right?

Thanks for any help guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

madda

Well-Known Forum User
Will you sell the spare lower arms you have, want to do a complete rebush for red and it would be easier with a spare set? Ta

Ian

Club Member
Mine is a 78 and has the longer struts. I guess it doesn't matter what ones you use if you go with adjustable height coilovers but I can't say for certain.

s2k_adz

Club Member
Cheers guys. Id imagine just welding the coilover further up the strut wouldn't cause an issue?

Joe - I might do yes. I'll look them out and see how rusty they are! Im pretty sure they'd be good with a bit of a blasting

s2k_adz

Club Member
Anyone have any more info on this?

My car is a 1978 so has the longer 55mm struts. I dont particularly want to cut these up though.

I have sourced a set of early struts from a 1974 model which are the 51mm versions and apparently shorter? I was wondering if I could use the 51mm kit on my 78 car and just weld the adjustable struts on higher up to retain the length?

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Might be best just to take of the a rear 55mm strut and lay them side by side just to be on the safe side