260z distributor issues

julian24

Forum User
Hi everybody , My green 260z is progressing nicely and completion within the next few weeks . ( pics to follow )
I have also recently imported a silver 260z , if some body could help it would be great .
The car started and drove onto the trailer fine at the port but back home will not go .
We have traced the fault to the distributor but unsure to which one it has , its not a points one , but it has a multi pointed rotor and two pick ups either side of the distributor ( the green car has only one pick up !! ) . Any ideas would be great . As we have tested everything else and seems fine . Julian

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
What have you tested so far? HT spark at the plugs? HT from the coil? +ve to the distributor?

Mr.F

Inactive
multi pointed rotor and two pick ups either side of the distributor ( the green car has only one pick up

There are two versions of the distributor fitted to the USA 280Z which fit your descriptions.

31618-02.jpg

Two wire version, single pickup.

31617-02.jpg

Three wire version with two pickups.

julian24

Forum User
Hi mike and John , we have tested all the leads and have power all the way to the distributor but nothing coming out of the 6 hit leads , so presuming its the distributor at fault . Just seems odd that it started ok then nothing !! . Thanks for the pictures Mike , the green car has the one in top picture and the silver car with the issue has the lower picture . Is this something you would have ? Regards Julian

Mr.F

Inactive
I have obtained both at various times for 280Z owners. They are fairly regularly available as recon units, but sometimes want cores back before they will ship...

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
If you have HT into the distributor, the problem must be rotor or cap.
Are you sure it's not just damp?