260Z Coil

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
Could someone please tell me what the part bordered in red is? I am not sure what it does, but I would like to find a new, or good used, one if possible (a part number would be great). I have looked through my fiche, but cannot find it visualised.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 260Z Coil.JPG
    260Z Coil.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 46

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
correct me if im wrong but the reason its not on a wiring diagram is its an aftermarket thing used to prevent radio interference?

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks both for your input. I wasn't sure what it did, because some cars don't seem to have one installed by the coil. I am not sure if it is aftermarket because I noticed one on another late 260Z (see image).

Attachments

• 260 Suppressor.JPG
    260 Suppressor.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 23

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
i had one on mine and took it off, (well it cant of came off in my hand) nothing bad has happened since.
most modern radios have some kind of built in suppressor that shields the head-unit from radio interference form the ignition system so you should be fine.

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
....and I always wondered what that was spoiling Abbas Greatest Hits;)

andrew muir

Club Member
I had that on mine, Took it off made no difference but looks less cluttered without it, and save a bout 10grams in weight!:D

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
I had that on mine, Took it off made no difference but looks less cluttered without it, and save a bout 10grams in weight
But think about all the fuel you're saving with that weight reduction. A mate in Canada has advised it is part "27984-B0700" and listed as a "condenser" in the fiche.

The funny thing is that even with the engine switched off, the stock radio, at a reasonable volume, has enough hiss and static not to hear the additional interference when the engine is running.