260Z Brightwells Classic Auction

Stockdale

Club Member
Moving away from the frequently awful stuff which occurs on ebay there is (what looks like) a really good '77 260Z on Brightwells Auction (Leominster 4th March). I can't work out how to do that 'link' stuff but it can be found at www.brightwells.com. It's lot 163 with a guide of £15-18,000. It has the wrong steering wheel and gear knob but looks pretty original following its restoration. Maybe one for those who prefer driving to tin-bashing and tinkering?:unsure:

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
The interior shot is actually of a 240z, what exactly is going on there? :unsure:

In fact, so is the engine bay shot...

Mn.260

Active Forum User
Can't see anything wrong with steering wheel or gear knob as whole interior (seats, dash, door cards) are all 240, air box, carbs all 240, plastic ducts to air tubes not fitted to late 260, so is the car actually a 240 not 260, bit of a concern if it is being sold as a restored 77 260 !!

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
It seems the photos are from 2 different cars; you can see from the exterior shots that the inside of the car has the correct 260z door cards so someone seems to have made a cock up when uploading the photos or something.

Mn.260

Active Forum User
ignore above, took a phone call while writing and morbias beat me to reply with same observations

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I'm guessing some of the shots are Z Farm pics. only because of the barn. Attached is my old car at the Z Farm.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 30

Leeski26

Club Member
datsun-z-cars-S715479-4_zps0cdz7hgf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
3926997_zpsm0auvkxj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
3926993_zpsdchemk7z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
3926989_zpsifcmthju.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

These photos are from nearly 2 years ago when Duncan from the Z Farm was selling this car, a very nice car, drove very well when I took it out for a test drive in august'13 but was just out of my price range.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
So the Z Farm must have been trying to sell it for the owner who has had it for 20 years.

The 260 2+2 looks reasonable from the pics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leeski26

Club Member
When I drove it Duncan said he had sold it to someone earlier that year and then taken it back as part ex on a 240z, which was the reason he gave for not budging on the price:(

Stockdale

Club Member
Can't see anything wrong with steering wheel or gear knob as whole interior (seats, dash, door cards) are all 240, air box, carbs all 240, plastic ducts to air tubes not fitted to late 260, so is the car actually a 240 not 260, bit of a concern if it is being sold as a restored 77 260 !!

Nothing wrong with the steering wheel or gear knob. Just that wood (or wood effect) wheels and gear knobs were not to my knowledge fitted to 260Z's (I bought one in '74 and can say without reservation that there really wasn't any wood!). Really quite common for 260Z's to be fitted with earlier carbs and not a bad thing. Must admit I didn't know air tubes were not fitted to late 260's! Nonetheless it looks pretty good to me:). Think someone is going to get a good buy!!

Stockdale

Club Member
It seems the photos are from 2 different cars; you can see from the exterior shots that the inside of the car has the correct 260z door cards so someone seems to have made a cock up when uploading the photos or something.

Well spotted:bow:. The steering wheel on the exterior shot really does look 'correct' in black! unlike the interior shot 'wood effect version. Maybe the ad is a mix of different cars! Heck, why would anyone do that??

bumblejon

Active Forum User
Two of the five pictures are of my car, which is a 1972 240z. As pointed out the advert is a mixture of two cars!

Mn.260

Active Forum User
Nothing wrong with the steering wheel or gear knob. Just that wood (or wood effect) wheels and gear knobs were not to my knowledge fitted to 260Z's (I bought one in '74 and can say without reservation that there really wasn't any wood!). Really quite common for 260Z's to be fitted with earlier carbs and not a bad thing. Must admit I didn't know air tubes were not fitted to late 260's! Nonetheless it looks pretty good to me:). Think someone is going to get a good buy!!

Correct, "wooden effect" steering wheels and wooden gear knobs weren't fitted to the 260, the picture shows the interior of a 240, not a 260 as being advertised which was my point.
Yes lots of people fitted the 240 carbs, but not that often with the 240 air box, in place of the heat sensitive "dustbin" standard carbs on the 260, but the picture, as pointed out, is also of a 240, or early 260, ducting to air tubes, not fitted to late 260, also fan guard on radiator, not fitted on 260 etc, being the slight differences :)

zNathan

Well-Known Forum User
When I drove it Duncan said he had sold it to someone earlier that year and then taken it back as part ex on a 240z, which was the reason he gave for not budging on the price:(

That was the 260 I had before I got the 240.

Was very sad to see it go, I'm sure there are a few on here that will remember seeing it at Donington 2012? Was a very solid car, bit rough around the edges but still very good condition. Drove really well and the exhaust sounded awesome (in my opinion) although it did drone at around 3-4krpm lol didn't stop the lady from falling asleep though :confused:. Had a really rough idle which I loved, especially in the middle of town hehehe :rofl:

Whoever gets this car will get a good buy definitely. Was torn with getting the 240 or keeping that 260 to modify with arches, L28 etc.

I heard the car had gone down south after Duncan had it back from me, glad to see it's still looking good!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
..........I heard the car had gone down south after Duncan had it back from me, glad to see it's still looking good!

So 'This lovely late 1977 2-seater has been in long-term ownership for the last 20 years or so' is inaccurate and with pics of somelse's car in the advert what's going on?