260Z Brakes Help/advice

260Zues

Forum User
Hi all,
I'm after some advice with regard to changing the brakes on a Datsun 1978 260Z that I'm rebuilding and think you may be able to help.
I've reached the point where my chassis/shell is back from the dead (sun roof is gone and I have floors!), I'm currently renewing the suspension with one eye on brakes, and having considered brake options (refresh existing or upgrade), I've decided on upgrade.
I've based the decision in part on the aesthetics element but primarily on the suggestion by various web sites and forums that maintenance and part replenishment (in the UK at least) becomes easier.
I'm happy to take advice on this if you feel I've made the wrong decision but would prefer some guidance on what is actually needed if I do ultimately opt to upgrade.
I've seen reference to various different calipers that can be used with a custom bracket to convert the rear brakes to disks but I don't see a size or part number or vehicle make/model (or anything) for the pads and disks required to fulfill the promise of easy acquisition of parts in the uk once you've found the required calipers and bracket... What am I missing please?
Also, are there any suggestions for options an upgrade to the front brakes, other than an all out Willwood mortgage (though they're probably worth every penny)...
Any and all help/advice appreciated...
Many thanks in advance :bow:

260Zues.

richiep

Club Member
RE: rear disc conversions, you'll often see the US-made kits on eBay comprising of 280ZX discs and Nissan Maxima (US model car) calipers, and requisite custom brackets. This is what I have on my car. Although the initial worry might be that sourcing pads for an old model USDM car might be a problem in the UK, it turns out that the pads used in those particular Maxima calipers are in fact identical (same part number) to those for the first generation (1997-01) Hyundai Coupe - which of course was plentiful here. You can pick them up without difficulty.

280ZX discs are also pretty easily available IMO. Even if you can't grab some from your local factors, you can find them on eBay or order from a range of options (plain, slotted, cross-drilled, etc) via Rockauto.co.uk (imported from US).

That's just one option of course. There's a whole discussion about the relative merits of discs versus drums etc.

johnymd

Club Member
IMO the standard brakes on a 240z are fine for road and even good on the track when you put in better pads (Matt is proof of this). With the $ exchange rate, the US options are all expensive at the moment so your probably better off with a DJ rear kit. The once popular 280zx front conversion will involve drilling the threads on the struts so I wouldnt advise this.

andrew muir

Club Member
Took my car around Spa with no brake issues after using EBC greenstuff pads decent hoses, and fluid. Using stock calipers spaced to take peugeot 505gti vented discs.
Rear drums are totally fine.
My first trip around to spa was terrible with stock pads and fluids and, no venting, chronic brake fade after 2 laps!!:cheers:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi all,
I'm after some advice with regard to changing the brakes on a Datsun 1978 260Z that I'm rebuilding and think you may be able to help.
I've reached the point where my chassis/shell is back from the dead (sun roof is gone and I have floors!), I'm currently renewing the suspension with one eye on brakes, and having considered brake options (refresh existing or upgrade), I've decided on upgrade.
I've based the decision in part on the aesthetics element but primarily on the suggestion by various web sites and forums that maintenance and part replenishment (in the UK at least) becomes easier.
I'm happy to take advice on this if you feel I've made the wrong decision but would prefer some guidance on what is actually needed if I do ultimately opt to upgrade.
I've seen reference to various different calipers that can be used with a custom bracket to convert the rear brakes to disks but I don't see a size or part number or vehicle make/model (or anything) for the pads and disks required to fulfill the promise of easy acquisition of parts in the uk once you've found the required calipers and bracket... What am I missing please?
Also, are there any suggestions for options an upgrade to the front brakes, other than an all out Willwood mortgage (though they're probably worth every penny)...
Any and all help/advice appreciated...
Many thanks in advance :bow:

260Zues.

I thinking that you're trying to convince yourself that you need to upgrade so that you can fit something that looks a bit more sporty. Just bear in mind that 'upgrades' usually involve more planning and work than sourcing original consumables so that's not a strong argument really.

Upgrading will impact on many things: hydraulic lines, wheel dia/offset, wheel spacer, wheel studs, handbrake operation, brake backplates/dust-shields, pedal travel/master cylinder, compensating valve etc

The standard system works well so my advice would be to stick with it until you discover your brakes are overheating or you are being out-braked on track.

I've spent many many hours upgrading my old track-car brakes and it can get involved. For a road car it really isn't worth it IMO.

toopy

Club Member
I have standard discs on my car, some performance orientated pads from MrF and decent braided hoses, also from MrF and the car stops really well, October last year i had a lad on a moped pull out in front of me as i went past a car turning right and he obviously didnt see me at all!
I stood on the brakes, i couldnt swerve as there was no where to go, but i avoided him, just :eek:
He carried on oblivious to the drama he'd caused, but the car stopped surprisingly quickly with just a hint of lock up, i was doing 35ish at the time as well

I too want to upgrade to vented discs, i already have some replacement calipers, but to be honest, the brakes as they stand at the moment are great, so thats on the back burner for now.

I would strip down your original calipers though, i did, as they had to come off anyways to do the discs, easy to do, i had to replace one of the pistons as the surface was corroding on the outer edge, all the seals and dust covers were renewed as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

toopy

Club Member
Has anyone bothered to fit performance rear brake shoes?

actually, do they even exist!

260Zues

Forum User
Hi all,

Really sorry for the delayed reply... I hit a few minor issues with renewing my half shaft u joints, which confined me to my workshop for longer than expected...

With regard to brakes...I've decided in the end to stick with the stock set up on the front and upgrade where I can (fluid, hoses, pads etc.)
The back conversion seems much more straight forward though and so I'm going to proceed with this element and fit the "standard" disk conversion...

Many thanks for the good, sound advice, it's very much appreciated!

Kind Regards,

260Zues.

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Never had any joy with Wilwood on any that I've converted to

My 240 was worse than std with them

What pads would you guys recommend for std 280 calipers?

toopy

Club Member

I dont know want brand of pad Mike supplies, just that they are high metallic performance orientated!
Certainly seem to have decent bite, that is with new discs as well though :)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator

My experience is different to yours, my last upgrade was a Dave Jarman Wilwood kit and it worked very well - but I sold the car after just 1 trackday with those brakes.

Ian

Club Member

Suprised to hear this.

Wilwoods are great on my car as is my entire setup, brake feeling and performance is very high, couldn't imagine you could get it any better.

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
My experience is different to yours, my last upgrade was a Dave Jarman Wilwood kit and it worked very well - but I sold the car after just 1 trackday with those brakes.

Perhaps a different issue I had then...Dave Jarman fitted my kit.

I also had them on my MK1 Gold for track days....rubbish on that too :)

johnymd

Club Member
I tend to be pretty hard on my brakes and had issues with lots of heat cracks on my first set of willwood disks. I now run the better version of their disks and they have lasted better. They are close to their ware limit now so time to change again. They are a good track upgrade for the money but probably no better than standard for the road.

Ian

Club Member
Johny - Could you post the part number for the wilwood discs, will help when I come to replace mine. Cheers.