260z brake upgrade and modification

Timbo

Club Member
Hi all.
Some help and advice please.
Brake failure this week due to the copper flange into the back of the calliper cracking and losing fluid.
Turns out that the flexi hose to copper ‘S’ shaped calliper brake pipe was not fixed to the strut (BC coilovers) and the latter was taking stress along with the suspension travel.
The first picture is of the broken offside section, while the later picture is the existing near side.
These had been fitted by the previous owners so I wasn’t aware of the issue.
Could have been worse, but got her home.
I’m using the opportunity to upgrade using the milkfab R32 kit with Honda Odyssey discs and some refurbished aluminium 300zx callipers I’ve picked up.
However the issue will remain and I have no brackets.
I am wondering whether anyone has used longer braided lines and connected them straight from the inner chassis mount to the calliper? Is this advisable?
Alternatively, does anyone know where I might find mounting brackets that could wrap around the BC coilover and hold the mating point of the flexi hose and copper brake line?
Or other solutions?

In addition, can someone please confirm that my hubs are the later 280z type and not the earlier 240z type, as apparently this effects the choice of milkfab bracket due to different offsets.

Thanks in advance for any light shed.....

91002C28-B11D-47F1-9C18-43D26BDEEEBE.jpegD589E0A5-BA9F-4547-8136-B95EF6DA0ECC.jpeg B8FACD98-A937-468B-9220-6B7BDE3FFEAA.jpeg E4E0B908-2E6A-428E-BAF2-3B3D76DED331.jpeg BBE63BDC-508C-44A7-A9AD-515CCF580BD2.jpeg

Last edited:

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
My bc coilovers came with some brackets that bolted on using that metal ring on the second picture.

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
Looks like this but if I remember I had the put a 90 degree bend on them to match the oem setup

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210531_225316_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    Screenshot_20210531_225316_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 26

Timbo

Club Member
Looks like this but if I remember I had the put a 90 degree bend on them to match the oem setup
Thanks. That bracket isn’t attached to anything and there isn’t one on the other strut (pic 4)
I’ve since had a look but it’s at the wrong angle to hold the link between the flexi hose, so would require modifying. Then again I only have one.
If yours came with them then I can try to get hold of BC and ask. I understand they’re US based.
Did you buy yours form the US or a UK distributor?

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
I got mine in the UK but you could just run a longer Flexi hose and do away with the copper S pipe .I will double check mine later.

atomman

Club Member
looks like that was destined to happen with not support bracket on copper pipe letting flex ,

I ditched the cooper 'S' pipe ages ago for a stainless flexi with a banjo to the R32 calipers ,

A MR2 front one can also be used as some have done on here with the Skyline calipers on 260z's

Timbo

Club Member
looks like that was destined to happen with not support bracket on copper pipe letting flex ,

I ditched the cooper 'S' pipe ages ago for a stainless flexi with a banjo to the R32 calipers ,

A MR2 front one can also be used as some have done on here with the Skyline calipers on 260z's

Thanks for responding. So you have a longer braided flexible brake line running directly from the inner wing fixing point to a banjo fixing on the back of the caliper?
I have some new Nissan calipers (pic below) that I presume would have previously taken the traditional copper flanged hard pipe and associated nut, so a banjo is good to go straight onto the back of this? And do you have any images I could reference at all?
Sorry for all the questions, but I have Google searched lots of terms to find any examples of people ditching the part flexi / rigid lines for complete flexible braided alternatives without success.
Likewise, I have tried searching for any universal brackets that might allow me to replace the rubber line with a short braided one and craft another copper S section from existing line I have spare. But also little information available.
Thanks

Nissan calipers.jpg

Last edited: