260z '74 seat belts

ZAndy

Club Member
Hi all,

I've searched this Interior forum for seat belt info but couldn't find what I was really after.

Has anyone fitted any aftermarket 3 point seat belts? If there's a generic or close fitting option I can buy brand new, that is long enough to fit the Z I may do that over importing belts from thezstore.com. Seems reasonable to believe that a 3 point belt system with one retractor, at the right length, would fit no problem, but I'm struggling to find options.

Just wondered if anyone faced this before me?My originals are frayed badly, hardware still fine but I've got prices for replacing the belts on the existing hardware and it's nearly as much as a new set.

Cheers
Andy

ZAndy

Club Member
Excellent, thanks all! They look like good options.

Not sure which to go for yet but will update here if and when I sort something.

Paul_S

Club Member
Agreed. I'm looking to fit some retractable seat belts in my 240Z at some point. It doesn't look straightforward because it will need to some fabrication to replace the current lap belts.

yellowz

Club Member
Agreed. I'm looking to fit some retractable seat belts in my 240Z at some point. It doesn't look straightforward because it will need to some fabrication to replace the current lap belts.

With the Securon belt all I had to do was bend the bottom of the new stalk otherwise it fitted to all the pre-existing brackets.

Paul_S

Club Member
With the Securon belt all I had to do was bend the bottom of the new stalk otherwise it fitted to all the pre-existing brackets.
Thanks, that end should be straightforward then. The hard bit will be trying to work out where to fit the inertia reels - or, more to the point, what angles the reels will / won't work so I can decide on the best position for them.

uk66fastback

Club Member
When did inertia reels come as standard on the S30? I seem to recall late '73? But I may have just dreamed that ...

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Thanks, that end should be straightforward then. The hard bit will be trying to work out where to fit the inertia reels - or, more to the point, what angles the reels will / won't work so I can decide on the best position for them.

With the Securon belts you adjust the mechanism to cater for the angles you mount the reel at. The strut towers are one place you could mount them on - my first Z had a homemade metal plate bolted on top.

ZAndy

Club Member
I've measured my existing belts to make sure I order belts long enough and without excessive spare length.

108cm from one retractor to the centre of the clip, 131cm from the end of the other retractor to the centre of the clip. So my original belts have approx 239cm max.

The Securon belts are nice and plain. I know the brand so for safety I've got some extra comfort there.

I measured an original stalk as well, though it might not have come off my car, I think it's another set I sourced but still from an S30. The stalk length was 30cm.

Securon part numbers mean I could get 514/30 or 500/30. 500's have an extra mounting point needed, unless one can be shared. The 514/30 appear to be the same mounting points needed as my existing belts. And are the same belts linked on the Car Builder site: https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/securon-multi-angle-retractable-long-stalk-black

Now I've got this far. I think I'll order the Securon 514/30 from the best priced/trustworthy place I can find them, making sure they come with all the fixings that Car Builder shows they need. In theory my existing bolts should fit, but new hardware is always nice to have. If it fits ...

Thanks all for the info and links. I might not have them fitted for a while yet as the cars getting other work done. When they're fitted I'll take pics and post here.

Cheers
Andy

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
I will be interested to see how this works out as it’s an upgrade I’ve always thought about doing.

arcdef

Club Member
Did you get anywhere with this? my 280z has belts fitted with 2 retractors (one behind seat on floor and another on the strut towers)

They are heavily stained and wanted to look at replacements as apparently they cant be re-webbed due to the construction.