260Z & 280Z 2 seat European model pros cons

P

Paul Evans

Hi,

I'm new to the Z scene but am seriously considering dipping my toe in. Always liked the 240Z but have mainly focused on Jags, MGs etc. I understand why the very first '69 240Zs are so sought after; a bit like the early flat floor E-types; even though the later 4.2 versions with the improved gearboxes were the better car. But what I don't quite get is why the series 2/3/4 of the 240Z have such a perceived desirability (and premium) over the 260Z (2 seat); and to a greater extent perhaps over the 280Z two seater models?

Focusing on European spec cars (inc. UK), the 260Z had some structural improvements over the 240Z for extra rigidity, the bigger L26 engine with an improved N42 head (for the later 260Zs), as well as an improved 5 speed gearbox that took away the gap between 1st and 2nd gear which was a weakness in the 240Z. Okay, the L26 has a slightly lower compression and it was also hampered by the tin-top SUs - but they can be easily replaced with the original Hitachi SUs. Apart from the slight modification on the rear lights and moving the front indicators to above the front bumper, aesthetically both cars are virtually identical. And even these slight visual differences can be easily and inexpensively modified.

Which brings me to question why the 260Z 2 seater is regarded as being so much less desirable than the 240Z; irrespective of which 240Z series type? Like I say, I appreciate the rarity and uniqueness of the Series 1 240Z over all other S30 series Z's; but not when we compare the series 2 to 4 models against a late 260Z (European) model.

I guess, a similar argument can be made for the 280Z 2 seater European model with the fuel injection. As I understand it, the original fuel injection system can be replaced with an array of varying carburateur set ups, or even with an improved fuel injection system. And if the heavier L28 engine was inferior to the L24 engine, then why are so many L24 engines bored out to 2.8 litres+, or replaced with the L28 engine?

But perhaps I am missing or over-looking some other aspects ? I'd be happy to be enlightened or perhaps to be vindicated that the 260Z 2 seater (and /or 280Z 2 seater) is perhaps as good as any late 240Z series?

Interested to hear folks thoughts on this subject ?

Last edited by a moderator:

uk66fastback

Club Member
Worms. Can. Of.

There are no real Series 1-4 of the 240Z as far as I am aware. There was only one car which underwent various changes throughout its production life, until it was superceded by the 260Z. I've not been familiar with these cars for long so someone with MUCH more knowledge may be able to answer to your observations on the subject, but it's probably down to the fact the 240Z was the original, initial incarnation ...

You'll know from looking through the site at people's cars, there are many different powerplants you can choose but as they say, there ain't no replacement for displacement ...

P

Paul Evans

You're right of course, there was no official series denomination given to the 240Z. But my understanding is that often series 1 to 4 is used to unofficially differentiate between the various upgrades/modifications made to the 240Z before it was replaced by the 260Z. The 69-70 model representing the very first 240Zs i.e 'series 1'.

Hope I have not confused folks in my description of the 240Z development.

I’ve never heard people refer to a series 3 or 4.

The 240 and 260 are both great cars. As with 99% of classics the early, first of the breed are the most desirable, most raw, first ‘pen of intention’.

There’s so many more models to consider before you get to the ‘series 1’ or early car as it should be known.

What about all the holomogation models? I’d take a JDM fairlady (240) over a ‘series 1’.

I’d take an Portuguese(enterpriso(spelt wrong) spec over a jdm etc etc.

There’s so much to consider.

johnymd

Club Member
I think we all have our favourites for different reasons and some specific to us personally. They do all essentially look the same which is why they are all loved. I have always loved the 240z as this was what I had when young but have grown to like the 260z/280z as well. The 280z is a stronger and "better" car but do we really choose these cars for practical and sensible reasons? I think not. The name 240z will always be more desirable to the majority but not for reasons you can quantify or justify in writing. It just is.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
And if the heavier L28 engine was inferior to the L24 engine, then why are so many L24 engines bored out to 2.8 litres+, or replaced with the L28 engine?

Depends also on the L28 source as heads and blocks can be different. The L28 isn't inferior just as much as twin SU carbs are just as good as triples or ITBs and a 260Z isn't better or worse than the other models.......just different and available to suit everyones' taste, pocket and end use !

We are blessed with so many options.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yes usually the early cars are the revered ones and that often relates to the cleaner lines, purity of design, slimmer bumpers etc.

With the S30 this is only really relevant when comparing a US car with a European car, although I prefer the neater 240Z rear lights.

Joe Public can't tell the difference between my 240 and my 260 however some think that the 260 was only ever a 2+2 so this may cloud their perceptions.

Didn't think I would but I prefer the 260Z dash/console to the 240Z

I would like a rust-free 280Z with a S14 box, Euro bumpers and well set-up triples on a slightly modified engine (exhaust, cam.).

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Joe Public can't tell the difference between my 240 and my 260 however some think that the 260 was only ever a 2+2 so this may cloud their perceptions.

I would like a rust-free 280Z with a S14 box, Euro bumpers and well set-up triples on a slightly modified engine (exhaust, cam.).

Especially over here where there was only ever the 240Z and 260Z 2+2.

I would keep the Efi Rob, better fuel consumption AND less pollution, better and lower suspension, front brake kit and a lightened flywheel.

toopy

Club Member
I'm no expert, but to summarise what's been mentioned already,

1. Only the Americans call early 240z series 1, rest of the world just say early or late.

2. 280z only sold in US and 260z was i think, only available for 1 year over there before the 280z came along with fuel injection.

3. L28 only really desirable if you are looking to create more power, L24 and L26 are great engines, in the early days if someone had a duff engine, it was cheaper and easier to source a replacement 2.8 from a crashed/scrapped 280zx, that's why plenty were swapped, not so easy these days!

4. 240z most obvious difference to later models is the rear lights, 260 and 280 look the same visually if the US bumpers have been removed, although obviously all 280z were built as LHD

5. 2+2 variant came along with the 260z and subsequent 280z, far less desirable and much unloved, although i think in Europe they out sold the 2 seater!
Now more popular to those buying their first Z, because 2 seater prices are generally higher.

6. US spec cars are generally thought of as inferior to rest of world, mainly because of the suspension being high and soft, most earlier ones only had 4 speed boxes and of course all the smog crap stifling the engines! and my personal favourite, they also tend to have black painted engines bays..... who thought that was a good idea!!

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
From a personal perspective it went:

> Wanted the 'first car in the line' (you don't often see the 260Z called out in best-of lists, despite it being so similar)
> Preferred the look of the rear lights
> Preferred the look of the interior

If I could have a second one, definitely a 280Z like Rob said.

johnymd

Club Member
It is odd that a lot of people would choose a 240z or 280z and often fail to mention the 260z as much. There is absolutely no logic to this but something I have noticed.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
1. Only the Americans call early 240z series 1, rest of the world just say early or late.

3. L28 only really desirable if you are looking to create more power, L24 and L26 are great engines, in the early days if someone had a duff engine, it was cheaper and easier to source a replacement 2.8 from a crashed/scrapped 280zx, that's why plenty were swapped, not so easy these days!

5. 2+2 variant came along with the 260z and subsequent 280z, far less desirable and much unloved, although i think in Europe they out sold the 2 seater!
Now more popular to those buying their first Z, because 2 seater prices are generally higher.

1. and generally only they over-value their 'series 1' above the others.

3. more torque, an L24 and L26 can give almost as much power.

5.In Europe, it was mostly the 2+2 sold by itself and not in parallel which is why it outsold the 2x seater, not customer choice.

The 280Z remains todays' bargain in two-seater form and a toss up between the 260 and 280 2+2s which is 'best' as value for money goes if you want RHD. UK RHDs are generally cheap but effed, 280Zs will need to be converted (parts, labour).

They see more value as after all the Japanese models and ROW versions they’re the most unique and have a few differences that later cars do not.

So they would be ‘worth’ more. It’s as they initially left the designers pen.

toopy

Club Member
From a personal perspective it went:

> Wanted the 'first car in the line' (you don't often see the 260Z called out in best-of lists, despite it being so similar)
> Preferred the look of the rear lights
> Preferred the look of the interior

If I could have a second one, definitely a 280Z like Rob said.

My criteria was pretty much the opposite, wanted the 2+2, so 240 was out, prefer the rear lights anyway on 260 and they're interior, well centre console controls specifically ;)

second car would have to be a Hakosuka or possibly a Celica

What i like most about all the Z's is that they all tend to be a little different, they seem to be far more tweeked/personalised than other classic's, you can have a whole row and they all differ in some way, which i really like :D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
They see more value as after all the Japanese models and ROW versions they’re the most unique and have a few differences that later cars do not.

So they would be ‘worth’ more. It’s as they initially left the designers pen.
They drive sportively like shyte !