260z 2+2 Wanted. Must be reliable ready to drive, not a project

Bob75

Forum User
Hi All,
I'm looking to get a 260z 2+2 (i know this is less popular than the 2 seater, but i have 2 young kids, and want to be able to take them out when they are older).

Not in a rush, so if somebody wants to build one that would be cool too.
Ideally RHD (although not essential), rust free clearly important, as other things can be resolve later, but rust is a killer.

I've seen a Super Samuri going for £30k, but i don't need the racing heritage, so hopefully something cheaper

Not sure how many are out there?

I'm not a mechanic, so can;t take on a project, but want a classic that i can learn with.
Love it to be 1975 (my birth year), but again, not essential, but helps to build the story to get purchase permission from my wife ;)

status

Well-Known Forum User
Nice car and the 280z is better to drive than the 240/260 as it’s fuel injection but that is to much for a 280z over here so don’t rush into anything,There is a 260 2+2 on EBay that might be worth a sniff

Farmer42

Club Member
Nice car and the 280z is better to drive than the 240/260 as it’s fuel injection but that is to much for a 280z over here so don’t rush into anything,There is a 260 2+2 on EBay that might be worth a sniff

If it's the red 78 2+2, I have lost count of how many times that has been advertised over the last few years. Almost smacks of a scam or something seriously wrong with it. Leave well alone in my book!

status

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah I’ve seen it a few times and wondered why it’s not been snapped up,he seems to have a lot of other cars and bikes for sale that don’t belong to him

Bob75

Forum User

Are there any "guidelines" for prices of the various models and years?

I found this, but not sure how up-to-date these prices are considering some that are out there at the moment

classicandsportscar.com/features/buyers-guide-datsun-240z-260z

Last edited:

status

Well-Known Forum User
Wot people ask and what they get is two different things ,the cars with high prices are still for sale and you’ve got the chancers asking stupid prices for rust buckets,The Ford scene has gone mad as has the Subaru imprezas to which I’ve got two of,the 280z is irelevant over here as good as they are,Have you looked at many Zeds as that will give you an idea,where abouts are you based as it might be worth looking at a few Zeds in your area as I’m sure there are z owners that would let you have a nose at their Zeds,

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Are there any "guidelines" for prices of the various models and years?

I found this, but not sure how up-to-date these prices are considering some that are out there at the moment

classicandsportscar.com/features/buyers-guide-datsun-240z-260z

Those prices were incorrect at the time it was written, they can range anywhere from £2k for an absolute-basket-case-only-good-for-parts example to 100k+ for a custom restoration.

For what you're looking for I'd expect to pay around £20-25k. This Japanese 2/2 would be perfect for you - it's even the right year: https://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/1975-nissan-fairlady-2-2.27360/

Those prices were incorrect at the time it was written, they can range anywhere from £2k for an absolute-basket-case-only-good-for-parts example to 100k+ for a custom restoration.

For what you're looking for I'd expect to pay around £20-25k. This Japanese 2/2 would be perfect for you - it's even the right year: https://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/1975-nissan-fairlady-2-2.27360/

Thanks, that's the one I was thinking about in a post earlier.

Got to be the very best option, got some really nice period additions also. Much nicer than the Facebook one.

TimFZ

Club Member
Just some thoughts as I have a JDM Fairlady, 1975. It's a great car and I too bought a 2/2 for fitting the kids in.
Yes they are a little cheaper and less "desirable" to many but that's a good reason to look for one. However there are less about so finding one is harder.

The JDM is of course factory RHD which is a UK advantage. It will have a 2 litre and not a 2.6 if its original but I find it torquey and keeps up with modern traffic. Its not blistering though but does have a factory 5 speed box where most UK and US cars are 4 speed.
Prepare for some rarity annoyances as many parts from bulkhead back are different from 2 seater including items like fuel tank (i'm restoring mine as can't easily get a replacement).
Look for matching numbers if this is important, ie engine, vin plate and bulkhead numbers. This adds to originality and possible value but if its not matching its a good reason to bargain a lower price.
My 1975 Fairlady has Hitachi flat top carbs. No real issue with them but many on here think the su's are easier to tune and tweak.
Most importantly get a good rust free and damage free one. I would expect to pay £18k to £25k for an excellent one and another £4 to 5k for a special edition like a samuri.
Non runners with good body but requiring a paint are likely to be closer to £ 12k.

Good luck and it would be good to see another 2+2 2/2 on here!

Just some thoughts as I have a JDM Fairlady, 1975. It's a great car and I too bought a 2/2 for fitting the kids in.
Yes they are a little cheaper and less "desirable" to many but that's a good reason to look for one. However there are less about so finding one is harder.

The JDM is of course factory RHD which is a UK advantage. It will have a 2 litre and not a 2.6 if its original but I find it torquey and keeps up with modern traffic. Its not blistering though but does have a factory 5 speed box where most UK and US cars are 4 speed.
Prepare for some rarity annoyances as many parts from bulkhead back are different from 2 seater including items like fuel tank (i'm restoring mine as can't easily get a replacement).
Look for matching numbers if this is important, ie engine, vin plate and bulkhead numbers. This adds to originality and possible value but if its not matching its a good reason to bargain a lower price.
My 1975 Fairlady has Hitachi flat top carbs. No real issue with them but many on here think the su's are easier to tune and tweak.
Most importantly get a good rust free and damage free one. I would expect to pay £18k to £25k for an excellent one and another £4 to 5k for a special edition like a samuri.
Non runners with good body but requiring a paint are likely to be closer to £ 12k.

Good luck and it would be good to see another 2+2 2/2 on here!

you wouldn't pay for for a samuri than a fairlady z 2/2?

status

Well-Known Forum User
The carbs are not an issue it’s the people that don’t know how to tune them and don’t have the right tool,got one still in my tool box and uk cars were all five speed as far as I know as for desirability it’s personal choice and I reckon the 2+2 is probably more rare than a 2 seater 260

TimFZ

Club Member
you wouldn't pay for for a samuri than a fairlady z 2/2?
I was after a cruiser and show car rather than something fast. Originality matters to my classic choice so it was more important to me to get the right car rather than a fast one. Plus I like the colour of mine!

Attachments

• IMG_20210330_084515.jpg
    IMG_20210330_084515.jpg
    500 KB · Views: 25