260 indicators

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
hi everyone
is it possible to move the standard indicators from above the front bumper to under the front bumper?
i think they spoil the look of the grill where they are now

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
hi everyone
is it possible to move the standard indicators from above the front bumper to under the front bumper?
i think they spoil the look of the grill where they are now

Of course it is but the grill has 'cut-out' which will be visible.

Leave it as Datsun built it. ;)

Turn & Burn

Club Member
As I got the car mine were mounted below, more subtle I reckon. Not sure if they were always like that but there's no odd holes in the bumper upper surface, it may be possible to flip the bumper?
The grille has no cutouts evident.

Attachments

• IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 32

Guy 600N

Well-Known Forum User
One of mine fell off so now I have neither ! Looks far better haha not sure how long I'll be able to keep it that way without before being pulled up on it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Rob, all 'slats' ? are the same length from memory, I won't be able to confirm for definite until Tuesday,
I had believed that some 260z had the indicators fitted below, but this may have been done at the dealers? Mine is a 1978.

uk66fastback

Club Member
I think they look far better under the bumper for that it is worth. Wonder why the UK cars didn't come like the US cars, with the indicator is the valance below the bumper - which looks the neatest of all in my view.

Mr.F

Inactive
Cars with UK / Euro bumper mount indicators will have a grille with cut-outs for rear projection of the bumper mount indicators.
All markets with corner valence mounted indicators will have grille without cut-outs.
If mounting UK indicators below bumper, right goes on the left and vice versa.
Regulations in force when the cars were new dictated the use of the bumper mount indicators to conform with height and width regs. The same regs are now no longer enforced so you are free to adapt as pleases...

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Regulations in force when the cars were new dictated the use of the bumper mount indicators to conform with height and width regs. The same regs are now no longer enforced so you are free to adapt as pleases...
.....and we do !:D

Dave B

Well-Known Forum User
Always think the 260 indicators look like an afterthought, and 280's are even worse lol. Gonna retro fit 240 ones to mine I reckon. Using an frp deep front spoiler so shouldn't be hard

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Per Mr F.'s comments, at my last MOT, the guy told me the same. Apparently the only stipulation is that left and right are away from the centre line of the vehicle.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Always think the 260 indicators look like an afterthought, and 280's are even worse lol. Gonna retro fit 240 ones to mine I reckon. Using an frp deep front spoiler so shouldn't be hard

The Euro spec 240 had bumper mounted indicators as well. The wrap round indicators came from other markets such as America and Japan.

Russell

Club Member
I completely deleted mine and replaced them with some Amber LED's from ebay with a load resister.

With a 3D printed bracket I made up they are now hidden behind the grill and shine through brightly when the indicators are on.

I had sidelights hanging off the bumper on mine too. I binned them and replaced the headlamps with H4's that incorporate the sidelight as well.

Much neater looking at the front now, if only I didn't legally have to have a front number plate it would look perfect!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I completely deleted mine and replaced them with some Amber LED's from ebay with a load resister.

With a 3D printed bracket I made up they are now hidden behind the grill and shine through brightly when the indicators are on.

I had sidelights hanging off the bumper on mine too. I binned them and replaced the headlamps with H4's that incorporate the sidelight as well.

Much neater looking at the front now, if only I didn't legally have to have a front number plate it would look perfect!

I had very similar ideas when I couldn't find the lenses to replace my broken ones. Do you have photos of it you can share?

yellowz

Club Member

Russell, can you post a pic please? Interested to see what it looks like. I'm thinking of getting a full grille for mine and hiding the lights the same way as you I think.

Russell

Club Member
I had very similar ideas when I couldn't find the lenses to replace my broken ones. Do you have photos of it you can share?

I don't I'm afraid as the front end is now completely stripped for the JZ conversion. I can share the 3D print file I made though.

Russell

Club Member
IMG_0297.JPG

This is the last pic I took before I stripped it.

You literally can't see them at all until the indicator is on. The printed bracket uses the top grill mounting holes and sits them just behind the slats in the grill.

You would have to get very close to even see them in there