240z Tyres (again)

Andrew

Well-Known Forum User
From reading the forum/manual etc, it would seem the original tyres for the 240z were 175/80/R14. My car has minilite copies (JBW alloys) on, fitted with 195/55R15's (I realise the speedo will overhead slightly). I really like the look of the wheel and the tyres but although the car seems to handle well in the dry, I don't get any feel or confidence in the wet. Now it's difficult to compare because I haven't driven any other 240z's. The previous owner fitted budget tyres (Hifly) which may be part of the problem. Any advice on improving the wet grip? Many thanks

Andrew

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Sean

I mentioned that the tyres were budget I think. They are branded HIFLY. Pressures as per the manual 28psi.

As far as the suspension goes, it Is difficult for me to compare. It is pretty standard (and new from the previous owner) as far as I know. I believe that the rear springs were chopped very slightly.

toopy

Club Member
i usually run about 32psi, i have 205/60 14's Falken tyres

28psi makes the steering heavier buy quite a bit for me, I replaced my shocks and fitted lower springs a year or so ago,
and it made a substantial difference to road holding as you would expect, and using the same Falken tyres.

Ive had several budget tyres on different vehicles over the years, and without exception they are compromised in the wet,
decent suspension aside, i would fit some branded performance orientated tyres asap.
You dont have to spend big bucks, look at the tyre review sites, and get a feel for what people are saying, dont just go by the manufacturer blurb :thumbs:

Andrew

Well-Known Forum User
Ok, will check the pressures again tomorrow.

I made a bit of a cock up, I noticed that the rears are actually 205/60 R15's and just the fronts 195/55's.

Looking at the reviews on the internet, the tyre I've got seem to have a bad reputation in the wet. I can confirm this! I think you are right Toopy, I will replace with decent tyres and then see how it goes before thinking about the suspension.

datsfun

Club Member
Andrew, are you running a staggered set of alloys? That may explain why you have different size rear tyres.

If not , then I would run same size tyres all round..

Goodyear Eagle F1 asymetrics, Continental sport contact 5 are excellent in wet.

I would get rid of the budget brand that is fitted presently and hopefully that "cures" the wet weather concerns.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew

Well-Known Forum User
I will check out the size of the alloys tomorrow. I hadn't even realised that they could possibly be different widths.

Andrew

Well-Known Forum User
Ok, looks like my tyres were under inflated so I have taken them up to 32 psi all round.

The alloys are not staggered, the rims are the same all round but it is running different tyres between back and front. F = 195/55/15 R= 205/60/15. Is this acceptable for the same size alloys?

Numpty question. The rims are 8 inches at the widest point, is this the correct way to size them?

bluejon

Club Member
Andrew I have a related question. Is the different tyre profile you are currently running noticeable on the car? Reason I ask, I'm currently running 195/55/R14, but two of the tyres are very old and need to be replaced. The current size is also little too small for a 14x7 rim, in width and also in profile v OEM.

My thinking is to put a 205 tyre on (or even to a 215) and slightly fatter profile, but I wonder if having a slightly larger tyre on the rear axle would look odd.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Fot a problem to run different sized tyres on the same size rims so long as the same axel wears the same size - it's not uncommon to see 'smaller' at the front than the rear.

datsfun

Club Member
Ok, looks like my tyres were under inflated so I have taken them up to 32 psi all round.

The alloys are not staggered, the rims are the same all round but it is running different tyres between back and front. F = 195/55/15 R= 205/60/15. Is this acceptable for the same size alloys?

Numpty question. The rims are 8 inches at the widest point, is this the correct way to size them?

On older cars, I tend to stay below 30psi as I prefer the "feel"..

Having wider tyres at rear is quite common, normally associated with staggered rims though. Doubt this alone is the cause of your handling issues..

Replace with good quality rubber and hopefully problem solved or halved! . Size wise depends whether yo like the 195's or 205's? Test fit by swapping them over and make sure they don't foul front arches if you decide with 205's

And we need pics!!!

8" wide from rim edge to edge would probably be a 7J or 7.5J wheel.IMHO

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
For good grip in the wet you need good quality tyres that are designed as an all year round tyre i.e. not summer. Many modern wide tyres are poor wet weather tyres. Continental usually come out well in tyre tests and they have been produced after spending a great deal of money on research (budget tyres are produced on a budget for people who want a cheaper tyre). I bet the same people wouldn't buy a budget mobile phone.

Don't go too hard with suspension.

195 is a good width for an S30, 205 is ok though if you have 7-7.5" rims. It seems strange to measure dia in inches and width in mm.

Wheel width measuring, it's the internal measurement of the rim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0SLpz3Fs4c

IMO 32 psi cold is too hard, especially if you are experiencing wet weather problems already.

Check your front tracking, these cars give a good feel normally.

Slow down in the wet.

Andrew

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for the info chaps. I agree that the rims are probably 7.0 - 7.5.

My pressures were way too low, and I now have them at 28psi all round.

Will buy new, good quality rubber. I have definitely been going slow in the wet. Apart from anything I'm running in a new engine. However, going round the M25 the other day in monsoon conditions with lorries over taking me was quite scary!

I will put some pictures up as soon as I've worked out how!

Andrew

Well-Known Forum User
Well, I took the same view as datsfun. I wanted to get 500 miles on the car in a week to enable to change the oil again. That's why I drove it to work (55miles) in rubbish weather. However, the other problem was that the demister couldn't really cope with the conditions, and therefore I couldn't see the near side mirror when on the motorway.

I probably need a bit of tuition with the heater levers!

Off topic, please can someone advise me as to what the sprung button above the hazard light knob does?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
It's all in the mind. These cars were daily drivers in th 70's and 80's and coped with all conditions so no panic. They have excellent mechanical attributes and good heaters to keep you warm :driving:

Exactly, so when was the M25 built?

Datsfun in the 70's I was a daily driver, what about you?

bluejon

Club Member
Fot a problem to run different sized tyres on the same size rims so long as the same axel wears the same size - it's not uncommon to see 'smaller' at the front than the rear.

Indeed. Smaller width front v rear. But I wasn't so clear in my post as I should. I was picking up Andrews point about profile difference. Would a slightly deeper profile on the back be noticeable and look odd?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Off topic, please can someone advise me as to what the sprung button above the hazard light knob does?

Where is your hazard light knob then ?

My Z was a daily in London back in......1990 and tackled the M25 between the A3 and M3, sometimes even made in round to the SE meet chez Mike !