240Z Turbo

Mr.G

Club Member
Here are some long awaited and promised pics of my 240Z which is now powered by an L28ET, the engine in a 280ZX Turbo.

Now the question is, is she now classed as a HybridZ??

96189507.jpg

Pic 1. Refurbished Garrett T3 with a .82AR exhaust side and .63 Turbine housing

96189521.jpg

Pic 2. The L28ET with turbo fitted

Currently running on stock boost, which is 7psi. Firstly looking to get an Emerald ECU to take care of fuel management and then look into an intecooler so I can safely boost up to 12psi or more without detonation :D.

Pics of engine bay will follow, just need to finish detailing it, valve cover and other ancillaries removed for polishing/chroming and will get down to refitting soon!...... Amazing how things can remain in bits for a long period of time..

Much more fun to drive now and produces an even bigger :D :D when I floor it and hear the HKS BOV go SHHHHHHHHHH! Yes it's there to protect the turbo!

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
MrG240Z said:
Here are some long awaited and promised pics of my 240Z which is now powered by an L28ET, the engine in a 280ZX Turbo.

Now the question is, is she now classed as a HybridZ??
No. Same engine series.

But bloody nice though none the less :)

240z

Club Member
Amazing! :eek: I didn't even know you were doing it! looks great, can't wait to hear and see it. Is it just me but are there loads of interesting/new cars coming out recently!?

Is the manifold etc. from the states? and who is doing the work for you?

congrats! :)

Mr.G

Club Member
Thanks!

The engine is not from the states but from the Netherlands, engine install was done over a weekend with an enthusiast who happened to have a spare L28ET in his garage, as you do.

Install was relatively easy with his guidance, only problem we encountered was wiring the Turbo ECU in, the mass of wires was crazy, I will try to find a pic. In the end we managed to fry the Turbo ECU :eek: so we were left with my N/A ECU and it works like a Charm. The AFM has been adjusted and ignition has been retarded by 20 degrees.

All is running fine with no pinging, even though some US guys have clamined better performance with the N/A ECU in a Turbo Z as opposed to the Turbo ECU, I still want to go for a standalone fuel management system.

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Is it a hybrid ? some will say yes, some will say no, either way it looks like an awesome conversion and VERY in keeping with the whole grin factor idea.:D

Look forward to seeing it when it's finished - 240Z is right, loads of cool ideas, great cars and projects are starting to come out of the woodwork.

bpaccaudjanspeedZ

Well-Known Forum User
definitively abort the Janspeed turbo option?

Hello Georges!

You take the security choice or you can’t find all the part for your janspeed turbo kit?

What did you do with the janspeed parts finally?

Did you want to sell them?

I am working on my body shell now and it's hard work, lot of parts to remove because of too much rust...

after i need to rebuilt my engine and my turbo need servicing and i need a new wastegate or parts to rebuilt it...

Soon I will put picturesof my works in my gallery.

Benoît

Mr.G

Club Member
Hi Benoit,

I was put off by the Janspeed system as I couldnt source the correct pressure switches and nor could I really safely increase the boost, ok there are primitive ways round this, noteably by welding a greddy relief valve to the J pipe but it seemed like a band aid.

I also didnt have all the bits..

Here is a reference photo I took of my Janspeed system:

96164129.jpg

Not sure if I want to sell it as I think my brother may want to try and source the pressure switches and fit it to his 280ZX. If you need Janspeed parts speak to Mr. F as he either may have something lying about or know someone who does.

Hope to see your photos soon and good luck with the restoration.