240z starting issues

kris broughton

Club Member
Good evening everyone,

My 240z has been in my garage for a while now and im wanting to get it running before i strip it down and restore it,

I cant for the life of me get it started.

It has triple 40 webers on it which were bought new as the car didnt come with any carbs, and ive put a electronic 280 e12-80 dizzy on it.

Its got good compression and very minimal leakdown.

I found out tonight that it had weird jets in it from new, and in the bag came with 50 idle jet rather than 40 and 135 main jet rather than 118, F11 emulsion tube. I cant remember the size of the air corrector jets.

Also the i havent got any pipe work on the big metal tube off the block under the carbs and the head breather.

The dizzy is in the middle of the adjustment slot,

It sounds like it wants to start but doesnt catch, it stumbles and pops occasionally through the inlet.

Im stumped as im a efi guy and carbs are new to me and ive tried to learn as much as i can.

I have some videos but cant seem to upload them off my phone

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
have you tried giving it 3 full pumps of the throttle before you try to start it?

kris broughton

Club Member
The video was the dizzy the whole way anticlockwise, ill grab some easy start tomorrow and try in the evening,

A new Mechanical pump, with a hose into a fresh can of fuel as i didnt want to risk the old tank

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
The video was the dizzy the whole way anticlockwise, ill grab some easy start tomorrow and try in the evening,

A new Mechanical pump, with a hose into a fresh can of fuel as i didnt want to risk the old tank
did you try all the way clockwise too?