240z Restoration - Back to Original (ish)

dotMorse

Club Member
So I posted something up in the new member's section a while back but thought I would put something on here to keep a track of progress.

I picked up a 71' LHD 240z from Chris @ Vega which is in the process of having the interior stripped back and the engine out for a full respray. I am taking it back to its original 918 Orange with some small style tweaks but very much keeping the original look of the car. Interior needs a lot of work and a lot of new parts to replace cracked components but elsewhere it's in a good state.

Mechanically its sound with the engine starting and running smoothly. Body wise is the normal rust areas, but most have been repaired already to a good standard with only a few smaller areas still left.

Will keep you all updated but I am historically very s**t at that bit.

Anyway, to start with the many questions. Is there a good supplier of interior replacement components in the EU?

Attachments

• 20181020_153843.jpg
    20181020_153843.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 20181020_153859.jpg
    20181020_153859.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 20181030_201601.jpg
    20181030_201601.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 20181103_180848.jpg
    20181103_180848.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 110
  • 20181104_161741.jpg
    20181104_161741.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 20181129_163003.jpg
    20181129_163003.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 106

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Great looking project, looking forward to seeing it progress.

Looks like we'll have another car to join the 918 club! :)

dotMorse

Club Member
I have a long shopping list from zStore that I am going to take a look at in January and bring back a suitcase. What are they like on quality? Has anyone got anything from them before? So far they have not been great with no email response in a few days to some questions but it's a tricky time of year so I will hold judgement.

Link to the last project for any interested. My turbo charged MX5 MK1 based kit car.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Zstore are one of the big suppliers of z parts. They're pretty reliable. My Gmail does have a nasty habit of deciding email from them is "promotion" or spam.

dotMorse

Club Member
Does anyone have an opinion on the seat covers they do? I have seen lots of mixed reviews on them. I want to go original vinyl rather than leather with some new seat foam but I am not sure about head clearance (i'm 6'2") with the new padding.

Does anyone have any recommendations? My shopping list is quickly growing...

uk66fastback

Club Member
I have some new foams in my car, they do make the seats look much better. If you can source original seat covers it’d be better for a more original look .... 6’2” ... hmmm.

johnymd

Club Member
Interior looks to be in very good condition. If it was me then I would try to retain the existing diamond vinyl and not disturb it. I'm yet to see one go back together as good as it was originally applied. If you do want to replace it all then the only option would be MSA and I don't know how close to the original that would be. MSA seat covers are probably the best match to the originals but will need to be fitted by someone with experience of these seats. I've seen and used trimmers that try to pull them too tight which looks all wrong.

dotMorse

Club Member
Thanks John. The Diamond trim is in good nick and in need of just a good clean. It has come out but came loose very easily and was bubbling in places. I have a feeling it has been out before. This will all stay original, as the replacement parts are more for the plastic interior quarter panels on the sides of the car.

dotMorse

Club Member
Made a slight detour on my last trip to the US. Decided to stop into MSA on the way from LA to Vegas. Picked up a BRE spoiler and had a look at a few bits I will be buying on the Feb trip, mainly interior panels that are cracked. If anyone wants anything small I can add it to the ever growing list.

Also a very nice car from the CES show in Vegas. Merc's new take on the old silver arrow.

Attachments

• 20190108_100203.jpg
    20190108_100203.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20190111_114918.jpg
    20190111_114918.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20190111_114934.jpg
    20190111_114934.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 39

dotMorse

Club Member
Wanted some advice.

I have just had a cost today from a body shop to take the car back to its original colour. I have already stripped 95% of the car parts and it is now down to a rolling shell.

He has costed the prep and strip of all surfaces including underside.
Straightening of the underside due to previous owners getting happy with a car jack.
Rust repair on any areas that need it (not many but there are some on the floors and arches).
Etch the entire body.
Underseal the underside.
Spray everything back to the original colour
Blast the axle components that he can and paint black.

Basically, take away the shell and bring it back done.

I have said I would supply the paint as I have a contact that he already works with so this would be additional.

His cost is £5k.

It seems in the right area to me, but this is the first time I have done a full glass out respray.

I have a cost from another company that would do it which was £3k but this was just the paint and no repairs or stripping of the underside. Just hand finish the body panels and then paint.....Any thoughts or comparative experiences?

Peato40

Well-Known Forum User
Seems fair enough to me. I paid £4k for a rolling shell to be painted but body already had a lot of work done to ensure it was rust free and the underside was already under-sealed. I could have also got it done cheaper but I already had first hand experience with the company that painted mine and I felt that it was a quality finish.

johnymd

Club Member
Sounds like a good price to me. There is a lot of work in taking the whole car back to metal. Especially the entire underside and engine bay.

uk66fastback

Club Member
As above. That is a decent price. Be very involved though, and anything that means it will go over that price, you want to know about ... I've paid over that for a respray alone (albeit a lot of the prep and expensive paint).

uk66fastback

Club Member
Some paint may not be but a decent lacquer is. Franky, won't apply in this case but do you know the prices of the House of Kolor paints?

££££££

If you can, get in writing exactly what thy are going to do for that money. All depends on your relationship with them, I suppose.