240Z Restoration and Rebuild

CheZ

Well-Known Forum User
Hi, have been absent for while as I have been getting my garage ready and making space for the strip down of the Z, So far I have taken off the bonnet and taken most of the american items off. I.e. the air con and all its items.

Don't seem to be able to attach pictures. Not sure if its me or the server.

CheZ

Well-Known Forum User
Photos

Attachments

• IMG_1584.jpg
    IMG_1584.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1574.jpg
    IMG_1574.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 130

racer

Club Member
Good luck Chez

Keep up us updated on your progress with some more pics.

What are your plans?

uk66fastback

Club Member
Looking good. Are you removing them for good - air con etc? Which make was it you had fitted? I think different dealers had different makes fitted ...

CheZ

Well-Known Forum User
Not sure on the make and model of the aircon compressor as it is covered in so much dirt. The pipes for it are a bloody pain aswell, especially after sitting for 10+ years!

Nearly have all the plumbing connected to the engine removed. Will be pulling the engine next weekend I hope!

I have a bike lock connection bolted into the ground under the front subframe, is it worthwhile strapping the frame down while the weight of the engine is still holding the car down then I should get more clearance without the car rising as I take away the engine.

Let me know your thoughts

Attachments

• IMG_1594.jpg
    IMG_1594.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1600.jpg
    IMG_1600.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 64

uk66fastback

Club Member
I really don't think you'll need that unless you have a very low garage roof ...

I took the 289 ou of my fastback and the car only rose about 3" ... the tranny, axle etc was all in there so there was still a fair bit of weight there ... and I don't think the straight six is THAT heavy ...

uk66fastback

Club Member
I do love the high res pics though of everything you've done so far ... I am saving them off for use as reference!

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I wouldn't think you need to hold the front down either - my garage roof is pretty low, but no probs getting the engine out.

CheZ

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for the info about the holding down the front end. As you have both said it should not be a problem. Garage has plenty of space height wise so should be no problem.

CheZ

Well-Known Forum User
A few more pics, Slowly slowly.

Was quite amazed the exhaust manifold was only held on by 5 nuts until I tried to pull it off!!
No luck tonight but managed to get the intake off and all the excessive vacuum lines for the emissions including the ones connected to the exhaust!

Attachments

• IMG_1614.jpg
    IMG_1614.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 77

CheZ

Well-Known Forum User
A bit more progress......

Attachments

• IMG_5990.jpg
    IMG_5990.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5991.jpg
    IMG_5991.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5992.jpg
    IMG_5992.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 63

CheZ

Well-Known Forum User
A few more photos, progress has slowed a bit as work is hectic but hopefully will have all the running gear out in a few weeks and then get the car Soda Blasted and rust patches fixed.

Still need to decide on the colour! :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_1636.jpg
    IMG_1636.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1633.jpg
    IMG_1633.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1637.jpg
    IMG_1637.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 63

Red7

Well-Known Forum User
Looking good there, why don't you keep it the original colour? Or are you not a fan, personally I like it, also I like the metallic light green 113 with tan interior :thumbs:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 31

CheZ

Well-Known Forum User
Yea, not a huge fan of Brown Metallic!

I quite like the Flat Red Colour, maybe a bit richer and deeper than the one on your pic. Never had a red car but they do look good like that.
Or I could go for Metallic Silver, show off her lines a bit more.

We will see.

CheZ

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all, little update from the last post, wow cannot believe its been 4 and a half years!
Not much progress until the last few weeks.

Pictures attached,

Had been sitting in a barn whilst I moved from London, then work and life got in the way!IMG_4424.jpeg

New home, tight but could be worse
IMG_4652.jpeg

L28 being bought down to garage
IMG_4651.jpeg

L28 strip down
IMG_4666.jpeg

IMG_4664.jpeg

IMG_4687.jpeg

I'm just going for a standard rebuild unless anyone can point me in a reasonable direction for a few extra horses, Have been searching and come across many documented builds but there does not seem to be any 'off the shelf' fast road cams unless I am missing it!
Going to be running triple 40dcoe's with mangoletsi intake. Hopefully ZStory exhaust (if he returns my email)

Block and head going to machine shop for cleaning and checking over, polish the crank, maybe recut valve seats if they need it. all the bearings looked good so just fresh replacements of standard parts.

Bazzateer

Club Member
I'm no expert but I think you need a better cam to get any benefit from the Webers.
Someone will be along to advise.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Getting a cam is no problem, you can send Kent cams your old cam, talk to them about what sort of profile you want and they will grind it for you. If you get more than about 12mm lift you'll need new springs and retainers like Schneidercams 68022. Then you might have to cut the spring seat deeper or shim it up to get the right installed height. Then you have fun working out what size lash pad to use.
prob first thing to do is get some flat top pistons and get the compression up. What head is it? a change to flat top pistons might be all you need.

CheZ

Well-Known Forum User
Getting a cam is no problem, you can send Kent cams your old cam, talk to them about what sort of profile you want and they will grind it for you. If you get more than about 12mm lift you'll need new springs and retainers like Schneidercams 68022. Then you might have to cut the spring seat deeper or shim it up to get the right installed height. Then you have fun working out what size lash pad to use.
prob first thing to do is get some flat top pistons and get the compression up. What head is it? a change to flat top pistons might be all you need.

thanks for the information regarding the cam.
I think easier to leave that for now and revisit once I have driven the car for a bit.
The head says it’s an N42 same as the block.

any advice on good piston sets to buy would be appreciated.