240z Rear Lights (UK Spec) | The Z Club of Great Britain
  1. The Z Club relies on the support of it's paid members - join the club or renew your membership here.

240z Rear Lights (UK Spec)

Discussion in 'Parts and Other Items Wanted' started by Jay., Jul 12, 2017.

1. Jay.

Jay.
    Z Club Member

As above.

I'm importing a car from the USA and would prefer to swap the lights over to a UK spec set.

Many thanks!
    Jay

2. uk66fastback

uk66fastback
    Z Club Member

They do come up occasionally but cost quite a bit and aren't usually in great nick and require some work. On US ebay on the other hand you can buy the JDM ones - I bought some for mine. Fantastic quality (the blem units) and the wiring was pretty easy.

These are similar ... bit more than I paid though - I think mine were $299 ish

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-JDM-...ash=item2f069e9a6c:g:9TAAAOSwiCRUmTaz&vxp=mtr

3. Red7

Red7 New Forum User

Me too, lovely product :thumbs:

4. Jay.

Jay.
    Z Club Member

They do look great. I'll keep my ears to the ground and see if I can get a set of those instead!

5. toopy

toopy
    Z Club Member

As a temporary measure, some people have simply fitted a yellow/amber bulb/led behind the red lense

Apparently it works just fine and will pass an MOT, have never seen this in the flesh though :unsure:

6. Jon_Flynn

Jon_Flynn
    Z Club Member

Yeah mine is done like that. I'll take a video and post it up over the weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. moggy240

moggy240 INSURANCE VALUATIONS OFFICER Committee Member

I think it's more down to the individual MOT test station, some will ,some won't pass it.

8. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member
    Official Trader

THAT shouldn't happen and red lights should always pass !

9. datsfun

datsfun
    Z Club Member

Care to explain why ?:unsure:

Bearing in mind what the law of the land expects..

10. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member
    Official Trader

Take a look at any American car imported.

11. datsfun

datsfun
    Z Club Member

That was back then...

Recently imported American cars are now also getting grief AFAIK.

12. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member
    Official Trader

Recently imported Classic American cars or moderns ?

13. uk66fastback

uk66fastback
    Z Club Member

From my old Mustang days if a car was manufactured before I think it was Sept '65 it could have rear indicators that were red and no need for amber. My April '65 coupe passed and my '66 fastback also passed (although it shouldn't have).

What you cannot have in the UK I think on any car is blinking brake lights (which they do have in the US) ... which is why they have to separated out.

14. Turn & Burn

Turn & Burn
    Z Club Member

Flashing the red brake lights as an indicator is legal on 50s and 60s vehicles, not sure what year the law changed, but its common on MGAs, Moggies and early land rovers and still legal now. The brake light circuit is interrupted by the indicator circuit. Look up DB10 relay, they're still available. (Obv not much use on a Z, but worth a mention)

15. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member
    Official Trader

Although my point was also that it shouldn't be different depending upon which MOT station one uses - the law is the law....unless it isn't !

Rear red indicators pass here !

16. johnymd

johnymd
    Z Club Member

Things are not always black and white Sean. The difference between red and amber is not clear cut. Just like all modern clear indicator lenses which have colour bulbs that change colour with age. I have tested yellow led bulbs behind a red lens and it does change the colour to be amberish. Not quite Amber but not quite red either. It's a matter of opinion which is why it's not clear cut.

17. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member
    Official Trader

Point taken John but I get the impression that is the wiring is altered to operate Euro (and UK:rolleyes:) style and using clear bulbs, the pass still dpends upon which station one takes the car and that seems at best a personal interpretation of the law....maybe you guys should list 'friendly' or 'colour-blind' garages ?:D

18. uk66fastback

uk66fastback
    Z Club Member

It's not friendly or colour-blind garages, it's the individual testers not knowing every nuance of every rule in the OSA Mot book ...

These guys are testing five-year-old Ford Focuses most of the time ... anything that upsets their usual train of thought can cause them angst. WHen I took my Z for an MoT soon after it came over just to find out the position on everything one of the things they failed it on was the lack of number plates, even though that is NOT an MoT fail for an unregistered car.

19. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member
    Official Trader

THAT is a sad fact - I can assure you that my Z mate here who runs a station (sadly near the Ardennes so a little far for me) know the rules off by heart by dateline - he has to because they are inspected regularly !

Here, I've known people's car nearly failed (the members rang me for advice there and then fortunately) because the tester couldn't find the chassis number on the bulkhead.

Cars here DO have to be registered ie wearing yank plates but not screwed in - riveted only !:D

20. Jay.

Jay.
    Z Club Member

Thanks! That would be useful.

I've seen a few guides on people dumping the reverse light and wiring indicators instead, but we'll see.

Whilst the law is thr law, I think it's pretty common for MOT stations to have varying levels of strictness. AFAIK, red lights should be a fail, but as long as it is safe then most MOT stations might waive it - especially since they've been asked to be a little more lenient on old classic cars to keep them on the road.