240Z Rear Axle Rebuild

Wavey Davey

Forum User
Hi there,

I've started to reassemble my rear axles after a (very) long time having taking them apart for a rebuild and I need some help from the experts in the club please.

Firstly, the steel spacer tube between the inner and outer bearings seems to be a loose fit on the axle shaft - is this correct and if so I presume I need to pack them with grease ?

Secondly, once the companion flange has been installed the workshop states ' use a flat-nose punch to stake the flange of the special nut to the flats on the stub axle' - what does this mean and can I do something different that will do the same job ?

Thirdly, is there a right and wrong way round to fitting the inner bearing - both sides seem identical to me ?

Finally, I have found 2 copper washers (40mm OD / 27mm ID /1mm thick) with the rear axle parts and I'm not to sure where they go. Possibly between the companion flange and the inner bearing but I can't see any shown on the assembly drawings ? Perhaps they belong elsewhere ?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
Hi: The steel spacer is a loose fit and should be packed with grease on assembly. It does'nt matter which way round you fit the inner bearing (the outer bearing has a step on it). The copper washer goes between the inner bearing and the flange (one each side). Instead of using the standard nut you can use a 280zx nut which is self locking and does'nt require staking. I have these for sale.