240z R200 conversion

jumbobeck

Club Member
I've had enough of my diff sounding like something from chitty chitty bang bang :driving:. Can someone give me a shopping list for a R200/cv joint conversion please. i.e. what parts are needed? Diff+ moustache bar+ mount + insulator+ drive shafts have all been bought and are waiting for collection. Anything else required?

Last edited by a moderator:

johnymd

Club Member
You will need some adapters to bolt the 6 hole shafts to the 4 hole companion flanges.

Unfortunately you may find the R200 just as noisy as the R180. Have you managed to find a 3.9 to match the 240z gearing?

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
i've been told all 260's have a r200 diff?
So i can take one of my 260z rear subframes with diff and suspension attached to it and stick it under my 240 and thats it?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I think many 260s have R200, but don't think all do. You should be able to tell what yours has because it looks different. Swapping over from a 260 won't give you CVs though...

johnymd

Club Member
Parts required:

R200 diff
260z mustache bar (from a car with R200)
280zx manual driveshafts
Companion flange adapters (or make your own as I did)
Non finned diff rear cover

I had to shorten the spring and and cv cover because ther wasn't enough room inside the custom companion flange adapters for it otherwise.

No Hands

Well-Known Forum User
why do i need to use 280zx driveshafts? the 260 ones wont fit?
cant i just bolt the complete 260z rear subframe with everything attached to it under my 240?

johnymd

Club Member
The initial post asks what parts are needed for the R200/cv conversion. You can use the UJ shafts if you don't want to convert to CV's. If your not making too much power then going to CV's is probably more hassle than its worth.

jumbobeck

Club Member
Thanks for the info guys. I've got all the bits now (the R200 is 3.9) just need to find, or fabricate, some adapter plates