240z Project Advice

Joe-99

Club Member
Hello all
New to the site, just wanted to get some advice on a few things, as i have just bought a 1973 LHD 240 and would like some tips on a few areas on the restoration, i will be restoring the whole car myself as i am part of the restoration industry, questions are as follows;

- What are some things that i should change going through the restoration eg suspension, interior or anything like that that will make the car the better? (must do changes)

- Anyone know a reliable place to get panels, i am after the outer sill panel for the left hand side

- Best insurance to go with once the restoration is complete, i am 23 years old with 4 years no claims and how much roughly will i be looking at a year? if known.

- Best place for parts for every aspect for the Z?

- Found a full Techno poly bush kit, worth buying?

I will no doubt have more questions as i go on, if any have been answered elsewhere please send the article link

Thank you so much
Joe

Jay.

Club Member
I think we have a wide variety of people on this forum who have different visions for a 240z - what are you looking to make out of it? Restore it to factory spec? Resto-mod? Track car? Depending what you want will depend on the answers for your questions.

These are of my course just my opinions:

1) Original specification cars drive fine - if you plan on using your car on a track or as fast road car, I would suggest upgrading to discs.

2) Andy at APS provides a lot of replacement panels and based in the UK. If he doesn't do them then you will likely need to go abroad, KF Vintage are my personal recommendation and have the biggest selection of accurate reproduction panels.

3) A specific classic car policy will be your best bet as you won't be able to use your 4 years no claims (assuming you're using them on your current car). I paid £260 when I was 26 on a modified classic car policy with Adrian Flux. Best to phone up the normal classic car insurance companies and get quotes: I always phone up Greenlight, Adrian Flux, Classic Line and Footman James.

4) OEM or Upgraded parts? Some parts can be bought from Nissan still. In the UK you can try contact Fourways Engineering, searching eBay or putting a "Wanted" add on this forum. If you want to upgrade parts then Techno Toy Tuning and Apex Engineering have a tonne of amazing stuff.

5) Depends on what you want from the car - the original rubber bushes are great, but if you are building a time attack car then poly bushes will help with feedback (at the expense of NVH)

Joe-99

Club Member
Thank you for your reply!

I plan on it being a resto-mod project.

I wouldn't use it on track but i have seen some rear disc conversion kits around which i might do.

Oh excellent ill have a look into that, thank you!

Thats a lot cheaper than i thought it would be!

It would be looking at both OEM and upgraded, still from nissan that's surprising, that's great thank you so much!

And i would mainly poly bush it to keep reliability up there and not having to worry about suspension issues later down the line

Thank you Jay!

Love your 240 btw

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Hello all
New to the site, just wanted to get some advice on a few things, as i have just bought a 1973 LHD 240 and would like some tips on a few areas on the restoration, i will be restoring the whole car myself as i am part of the restoration industry, questions are as follows;

- What are some things that i should change going through the restoration eg suspension, interior or anything like that that will make the car the better? (must do changes)

- Anyone know a reliable place to get panels, i am after the outer sill panel for the left hand side

- Best insurance to go with once the restoration is complete, i am 23 years old with 4 years no claims and how much roughly will i be looking at a year? if known.

- Best place for parts for every aspect for the Z?

- Found a full Techno poly bush kit, worth buying?

I will no doubt have more questions as i go on, if any have been answered elsewhere please send the article link

Thank you so much
Joe
I use Zcarpdepot and TheZStore in the US for new OEM/Aftermarket parts