240z power steering rack

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Initially I was thinking of using an electric column but with a rb25 going in and a pump already on the engine it seem to make sense to fit a power steering rack.
So I was wondering what rack to go for ?
I have seen threads on the use of mx5/BMW/ Sub
But concerned over actual lenght compared to original and ease of adapting the cross member.

Jon_Flynn

Club Member
I've got the z-powersteering solution installed and I have to say it is excellent. It's expensive and no where near as cheap as using an MX5 set but it is a bolt in kit just replacing part of the rack. Took me less than two hours to install on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adrianf240z

Active Forum User
Last year I was doing major work on a 240 in Bath. LHD and the owner wanted to fit power steering.
It was electric, The makers send you a replacement column with a big butch electric motor on it. Comes with an ECU and a speed sensor. Easy to fit, Dutch manu I think, English agent in Dorset I think.
When fitted turn the ignition on and you can turn the wheel with one finger. They make them for most classics.
Adrian

Farmer42

Club Member
Last year I was doing major work on a 240 in Bath. LHD and the owner wanted to fit power steering.
It was electric, The makers send you a replacement column with a big butch electric motor on it. Comes with an ECU and a speed sensor. Easy to fit, Dutch manu I think, English agent in Dorset I think.
When fitted turn the ignition on and you can turn the wheel with one finger. They make them for most classics.
Adrian

I think the company that you are talking about is EZPowersteering http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/car/26/15/Datsun.html and the agent is in Dawlish. I looked into this a while back when it came up in another thread and it worked out at £1500 fitted. They don't guarantee it if you fit it yourself.

Jon_Flynn

Club Member
I think the company that you are talking about is EZPowersteering http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/car/26/15/Datsun.html and the agent is in Dawlish. I looked into this a while back when it came up in another thread and it worked out at £1500 fitted. They don't guarantee it if you fit it yourself.

I looked at this and Zpower steering, and went wit the latter due to it still being guaranteed, and that it's designed to fit your specific year and model of car. The EZ one was just for the S30 as a whole at the time not sure if they have changed that though. Plus it was cheaper!

why would you want to fit electric power steering? Its a major failing point in every new sports car with it, testers bemoaning a lack of feel. Now consider thats on something they spend millions of pounds and 1000's of hours of development on.

Then we all go and fit a 'one fits all' system?

Jon_Flynn

Club Member
The reason I've fitted it is a bum shoulder. I couldn't move the car in and out of the garage as I couldn't move the wheel at low speeds - my left shoulder basically crumbles under any pulling pressure. When I first got the car I found it really difficult but once driving it was fine. As my shoulder is only going to get worse it made sense to get it done now.

The beauty of it is, it comes with a potentiometer meaning you can adjust the level of assistance from 0 which is basically the power turned off, to max which means your average 2 year old could turn it with their pinky.

And the zpowersteering rack is only for Datsuns and built to be customised for each revision of car. It's not a generic system in that respect.