240z leads in EastAfrican Rally

xznut

Forum User
This December sees the first "east african rally" being run.Qualifying cars are pre 1974 me thinks and it promises to be cracker. The sound of n/a engines, old skool mods, webbers, mikunis etc....no dump valves and wastegate noises.

The first car off the ramp is a 240Z, driven by a local kenyan Rob Collinge, who in his day was the "colin mcrae". For more details, visit their website Eastfricanrally.com. I think there are a few other 240's, one being run by a UK outfit...never heard of them though. Oh and a few mighty p510's are also running (Datsun 1600 SSS).

I hope this is covered by sattelite tv stations as I cannot get reasonably priced flights tickets to go and see it. Bugger !!

Anyone from the club rally scene involved in this event?

Ben

Active Forum User
Entrant #29 bought the 180B from a close friend of mine. It took 6 weeks to get from South Australia to Kenya & thankfully arrived in one piece!

This is the first rally that the car has entered in about 10 years.

Hopefully it does our preparation proud:D

xznut

Forum User
Ben

I am suprised that they went for a 610 (180b). I would have thought that a 510 would be better suited for the EA roads as its lighter. I guess it depends on the homologation status as the 610 would be L18 powered, whereas the 510 be a L16?, although later 510's did run L18's.
Also there would be heaps of good 510 rally cars to choose from from Aus. Do you know what the shipping cost from Aus? I am thinking of getting a 51o into the UK , but shipping costs are a big factor.

Does anyone know if thie event is being covered on satellite TV?

Ben

Active Forum User
A good point regarding 510 vs 610. I notice that Lofty Drews is in a 510 - last I heard a 610 was on the cards for him too.

I believe that the reason Arshad went for the 610 is this:
He contacted Shekhar Mehta (both Kenyans) & asks if he can find a suitable car for the rally. Shekhar says that his ex-navigator (and friend) Lofty Drews (who lives just out of Brisbane, Queensland) might be able to help. Now Lofty was the navigator for an ARC team of which a friend of mine, Greg was crewing. Greg has been rebuilding his 610 rally car in preparation to campaign & subsequently sell (to fund the restoration of his 240Z - no less!). The car has a brand new squillion-point cage, mil-spec wiring & has been rebuilt from front to back. Greg gets the call from Lofty, Arshad flys to Adelaide to check out the car & opens the chequebook soon after.... The rest is history.

So it was a matter of convenience really :D

Now as for your desire to import a 510 - you have a member on these site who's just taken delivery of a heavily modified 240Z from Australia. I can help you source a car, but he can help with the shipping costs.

240z

Club Member
Yep, I've done the import, works out not too bad if the car is over 30 years old, gets historic status and can get taxed a LOT less!

Also 'rob' is in the process of importing as well as far as I am aware, he might have more up to date info.

feel free to ask any ques though!