240z l24 ignition upgrade

kris broughton

Club Member
Hello everyone I have been doing alot of reading regarding changing the l24 point style dizzy to a electric one. I have bought a 280 electric rebuilt dizzy to start with E12-80 module.

Im not sure what to do about the oem coil as it is reading a dead short rather than a resistance reading so I'm thinking it need replacing, do I upgrade this to a better one along with fitting the 280 dizzy?

When looking for upgraded coild I don't know what ohm reading to go for or which coils are recommended with or without the ballast resistor

Cheers kris (a new 240z owner)

Farmer42

Club Member
I had issues with my coil when I swapped to a 280zx dizzy.

I eventually went for a 280zx coil and kept the ballast resistor which sorted the problem. However any 1.5 ohm coil should be OK as long as you keep the ballast resistor otherwise it will overheat and fail.

Make sure you have the correct wiring configuration otherwise you will destroy the dizzy module or the tacho won't work. There is a thread on the forum somewhere that gives a wiring diagram.

The plus side is that As soon as you swap it over and get it set up right the difference in performance is huge and your engine will run much smoother & more consistent.