240Z L2.4 Timing chain front cover removal

Marvo

Club Member
I wonder if anyone knows if the timing chain front cover can be removed with the cylinder head still fitted on my standard L24 engine please? I have found a couple of sheared bolts that hold the cover on and would like to remove it to get the broken studs out without removing the head as the rest of the engine is intact. I can also inspect the timing chain etc whilst its off. Looking at the drawings I have it would seem that the head gasket extends over the top of the cover but is just to seal that joint oil wise and not part of the business side of the head gasket ie around the bores and coolant passages. There are a couple of bolts into the top of the cover but otherwise it looks like it would come off in situ, the only worry I can see is keeping the end of the head gasket healthy enough to re use when removing the cover?

Any advice would be appreciated as always, many thanks.

Farmer42

Club Member
It should do. I removed mine without removing the Head. You will need to remove the Dizzy and drop the oil pump and the drive shaft before doing so otherwise you will find it wont pull forward past the gear wheels. Make sure you get the pulley to TDC on no. 1 cylinder first then mark the position of the dizzy and mark the position of the slot on the top of the drive shaft before removing the oil pump to ensure that the shaft goes back in the same position otherwise you will find that your ignition timing will be out. It's tricky getting it all back in place so you may need another pair of hands to hold it all in place while you bolt it back up.

I would advise that you also replace the crank pulley oil seal & oil pump gaskets while you have got it apart and you will need cover gaskets. You can get these from MrF at MJP.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
You’ll also have to drop the sump a bit to be able to put it back on which is a bit of a faff.

Marvo

Club Member
Thanks chaps, the sump is coming off anyway, the engine is in a stand and I intend to clean the sump etc whilst the engine is out. New seals and gaskets will be going in and points taken about the dizzy and oil pump thanks. Makes feel feel more confident now to pull the cover without cringing too much!

Marvo

Club Member
Apologies no piccies but the cover came off quite easily, I always give the heads of the bolts a sharp tap with a drift and hammer this shock helps unstick the threads of the bolts particularly when removing steel bolts in alloy casings. There are two bolts at the front of the Cam cover, then the bolts holding the cover are a mixture of lengths and sizes, I removed the sump as the engine was in a stand, if in the car then four or five bolts on the front of the sump would need to be removed, then the front pulley comes off, the dizzy and oil pump pull out, I set the engine at TDC and photo of the dizzy position and the oil pump drive shaft when removed. I was careful to pull the cover off as the head gasket extends out to the top of the cover and care needed on the lower section if the sump is still fitted.

I will now drill and extract the two sheared bolts which is always fun, this was one reason why it was coming off in the first place. I will check out the timing chain and sprockets etc later.

Hope this helps guys.