240Z gas gauge glass problem

Kerrigan

Well-Known Forum User
On our 1971 FairladyZ-L (a homemarket 240Z ...) the glass for the fuel-amp guage has "slid down", apparently come loose.
Can't figure out if it was attached to the actual gauge, or the dashboard ...
How and to what do I refasten the glass so it won't come loose when wiping it clean?
As it's right-hand drive, removing the glovebox to get at it doesn't work; the heater blower motor and ducts are in the way ... so remove the center console to get at it?

Need to get it re-set, fastened, etc.

Help much appreciated.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
The best way to get at the fuel gauge is to take out the heater control panel ( as recommended in the factory service manual ) and get access to it from below. Have you got a factory service manual? I can scan the relevant pages if you have not got one.

Once you have taken it out you'll see how the ( plastic ) 'glass' is attached to it. It should be an easy fix.

By the way....

Kerrigan said:
On our 1971 FairladyZ-L (a homemarket 240Z ...) ...

You have a 1971 Fairlady Z-L. It's a "home market" Fairlady Z-L. It's not a '240Z', its a Fairlady Z-L. If it could talk, it'd tell you that it's a Fairlady Z-L and that it is proud to be a Fairlady Z-L.

If I owned it, I'd be proud to own it and I'd call it a Fairlady Z-L. It's most certainly not a "homemarket 240Z". It's a 1971 Fairlady Z-L.

Er, did I mention it's a Fairlady Z-L? ;)

Kerrigan

Well-Known Forum User
Point well taken; thank you.
I usually get a "what?" or "never heard of it" other Z sites when I ask a tech question on a Fairlady, or a reply for a roadster 4 cylinder, so I've gotten in the habit of saying "71 240Z as most major stuff is similar enough.
Have picked up a couple of manuals, but only for the 240Z. Like to find one for the FairladyZ, but isn't it in Japanese language? The 240Z factory one doesn't cover the glass.
Thanks for the help; I'll get to taken the heater panel out to fix it. It keeps the gauge from working when it's like this.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
As a fellow S30-series Fairlady owner can relate to your situation. But in my opinion it's best to turn it on its head and be forceful about the identity of your car. It's not any kind of "inferior" cousin, and was - arguably - more pure to the theme of a true sports / GT car than the examples that formed bulk of sales were. If others don't know what you are talking about then they are the ones who are not fully informed.

There is of course a language problem with the Japanese service manuals and parts lists, but at least the pictures are all in English ( ;) ). If you look at them often enough and make an effort to understand a few basic terms in Katakana it can take you a long way. The English language manuals and parts lists are very helpful as long as you bear in mind the possibility of detail differences on your particular car. I can send you a PDF of the Japanese parts lists if you PM me with your e-mail address.

If you remove the heater panel, you can unscrew the heater / vent control panel from the back of it, which will allow you to push that to one side and work around it without disconnecting the control cables ( a real f$*&^*+£$ pain ), and you can then get your hand - and a stubby screwdriver - up behind the back of the fuel gauge to free it from its bracket. Once you have it free you can take it apart on the bench. The bezel unscrews from the back..... You'll see what I mean.

Is your location of 'Portland' actually Portland Oregon rather than Portland Maine, or indeed Portland Dorset?

Kerrigan

Well-Known Forum User
Hi:
Portland Oregon.
I think the older FairladyZ cars are the ideal Z. It's what the designer intended, not the smog machine imported to the USA.
It has LONGGGG legs with the 5-speed, that's for sure.
Cruises 60mph at 3k rpm in 4th, more or less. 5th is for the freeway.

As a fellow S30-series Fairlady owner can relate to your situation. But in my opinion it's best to turn it on its head and be forceful about the identity of your car. It's not any kind of "inferior" cousin, and was - arguably - more pure to the theme of a true sports / GT car than the examples that formed bulk of sales were. If others don't know what you are talking about then they are the ones who are not fully informed.

There is of course a language problem with the Japanese service manuals and parts lists, but at least the pictures are all in English ( ;) ). If you look at them often enough and make an effort to understand a few basic terms in Katakana it can take you a long way. The English language manuals and parts lists are very helpful as long as you bear in mind the possibility of detail differences on your particular car. I can send you a PDF of the Japanese parts lists if you PM me with your e-mail address.

If you remove the heater panel, you can unscrew the heater / vent control panel from the back of it, which will allow you to push that to one side and work around it without disconnecting the control cables ( a real f$*&^*+£$ pain ), and you can then get your hand - and a stubby screwdriver - up behind the back of the fuel gauge to free it from its bracket. Once you have it free you can take it apart on the bench. The bezel unscrews from the back..... You'll see what I mean.

Is your location of 'Portland' actually Portland Oregon rather than Portland Maine, or indeed Portland Dorset?

Throttleton

Well-Known Forum User
Pictures please Kerrigan.
Lots of people on here have not had access to your model of car. All those differences are more interesting to us than you i bet !!!

Kerrigan

Well-Known Forum User
See if this works I guess ... this was the 2005 Roadster Show in Portland, Oregon.

9446d1317342075-240z-gas-gauge-glass-problem-zdisplay-jpg

Attachments

• Zdisplay.jpg
    Zdisplay.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
Last edited by a moderator:

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Kerrigan,
The car looks great!

I like the fact that it's wearing all its original emblems, and you've identified it correctly on your show board. Very refreshing!

Cheers,
Alan T.

Kerrigan

Well-Known Forum User
I had to redo the nose emblem as none were available; rechrome and paint with a tiny TINY brush in the flatblack areas.
And searched for a LONG time to get a set of new emblems all round.
New mirrors came from an old stash in Canada, NOS!
Interior is all original, never had to be redone; although I did put in a new set of OEM door panels, which had the r/l cutout blanks still untouched!
I did make an error on the showboard; I said it was the "Rally version" when it is really the "LUX Edition" ... oh well ...
And we were amazed to discover the original paint still intact in the toolbox wells!
The headlight covers were installed at time of purchase as a "dealer-installed option" and have the original instruction sheets, all in Japanese, as was the air scoop.

kev64

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Kerrigan wow i love the car my 240z is silver too got a lot of catching up to get her to that standard,did you get the glass sorted on your gauge? mine has done the same was it a pig to do?? im a bit kackhanded (english for not very good at doing things )!!!

Kerrigan

Well-Known Forum User
I've yet to tear into it. Have to remove ALL the center console and related stuff. The right-hand drive puts the heater motor in the way of accessing it via the glovebox .. :)
Been working on "the other cars" for a while. Hope to get to it next!
Yup, silver is the way to go. The original Nissan 901 silver ...

Hi Kerrigan wow i love the car my 240z is silver too got a lot of catching up to get her to that standard,did you get the glass sorted on your gauge? mine has done the same was it a pig to do?? im a bit kackhanded (english for not very good at doing things )!!!

kev64

Well-Known Forum User
mine is that code have a look in my album or pics she is pretty good considering that she is an english 240z most got killed off by the elements i count myself very lucky to have her,the little things in life keep us happy ehha ha!! let us know how you get on cheers

Kerrigan

Well-Known Forum User
Got this message trying to look at a gallery for KEV64:

This category does not contain any images.

mine is that code have a look in my album or pics she is pretty good considering that she is an english 240z most got killed off by the elements i count myself very lucky to have her,the little things in life keep us happy ehha ha!! let us know how you get on cheers