240z factory body brace?

johnymd

Club Member
Not sure if this has been mentioned before but I'll start a thread on it.

I'm looking to stiffen up a 240z shell without welding or cage. I'm starting with front and rear strut braces. Then a link bar between the C-pillar seat belt mounts that also goes down to the strut mount bolts. I have noticed a threaded hole below the rear side windows that covered by the trim. Anyone know what this was originally intended for? as I'm thinking of also connecting to this with a bar behind the rear seats.

I'm looking for light weight bolt in solutions.

uk66fastback

Club Member
If they are there - I'd just use them if it is bolt-in is what you're after. No idea what they would have been for! Mr T's yer man most likely ...

johnymd

Club Member
I thought there was only one Mike but after going through some pictures I see it is 4 on each side as you can see in the picture above.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
The four captive nuts on each inner 'cheek' panel below the rear side windows are the mounts for the factory roll over/'safety' bar.

This is a four-point half cage which beefs up the 'shell somewhat whilst providing some amount of protection in the event of a roll. Whole arrangement was quite complicated with three sections of tube (main hoop and two vertical drops), two floor-mount brackets and two brackets for each side mounting. The side mounts were shaped to fit the inner wheel arch as well as the side mounts.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
You're welcome. Not a lot of people know that they are there, or what they were for.

Nissan sold the 'Safety Bar' kits from their Sports/Race Options parts lists in Japan, allowing privateers to prep their cars for track use. The Works team used modified versions of the Safety Bar' in their rally cars and circuit race cars.

From one of the Sports/Race Options lists for the HS30:

uk66fastback

Club Member
Superb info ... where does that leave you then johnny, getting something bespoke made up it looks like.

Nice to know that it was actually used for that originally ...

SacCyclone

Club Member
Wow, learn something new everyday.

Great info.

John, if you make up something to fit like factory, jot down the dimensions as i would love to make these up here at the shop.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Nice original mod and does not limit space for the seat movement.

Alan, are the pipes in your picture associated with a diff cooler or maybe fuel lines?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Nice original mod and does not limit space for the seat movement.

Alan, are the pipes in your picture associated with a diff cooler or maybe fuel lines?

They are the lines for the dry sump tank, mounted behind the left rear wheel arch on my friend Shigeru Terashima's works 240ZR replica race car:

Ped

Club Member
Excellent info! You could write a book: 101 hidden features of the 240Z

PS: Alan, your email box on here is full, just tried to PM you...