240Z early USA import - so, how much ?

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Interesting.

So who has got the actual price ? I almost don't want to know.
As it is JD Classics will be big big ££££.

I imported that car from the States last year. Was meant to be a long term keeper alongside another early Z I own, but circumstances dictated I needed a quick sale last Summer. So I put it in Silverstone Classic July auction expecting it to make at least £ 15k ! Couldn't believe it when bidding stopped at £ 11,500 ( figure they show includes buyers premium ). At that figure the car hadn't made it's reserve and I was already making plans to collect it and thinking of other ways to get me out of the temporary financial situation I was in at the time when Silverstone called to say they had cut their fee to almost nothing and sold it anyway. :(

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/datsun-240z-4059

At that point, I decided the UK classic car buying public didn't know their **** from their elbow - well dear old Quenten Willson hadn't yet told them what they should be buying.

It is a great car but not matching number original engine though ! Had a 2.8 in it when I bought it but put back in an original L24 of unknown provenance / mileage although it sounded and performed really well. Naughty naughty JD not mentioned that as far as I can see ? All original ? I don't think so !

Also there was a bit of rust just starting to bubble in the lower rear sill area on both sides, nothing major but whomever buys should ask to see what they have done in this area and to what standard ?

Oh well, will have to console myself that I still have another amazing Z which I think is even better than this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Yes and Yes !

Just noticed it is at their Mayfair showroom - no wonder it is POA.
That should put at least an extra £ 5k on the price.

Has the Z finally been recognised and found it's place amongst the elite or does it look a bit lonely and out of place amongst all the other Ferrari, Astons and Jags that make up the rest of their stock ?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
So it's not one of the earlier models as described , It's not got its original engine, so it's just a decent US import?

Suremy obvious from this : HLS30-21344

Has the Z finally been recognised and found it's place amongst the elite

Let's not criticise the car or the price - little catalysts such as this are needed to launch the 240Z into it's proper place....although I can hear the words of our Count from another thread on LHD vs. RHD....one day, certain 'ringers' are going to upset the apple-cart.

Red7

Well-Known Forum User
This is a one owner car from North Carolina that I considered buying before deciding on the one I got, it's up at $20K and was painted 10 yrs ago, the white interior is a bit Huggy Bear but it could be a nice car for someone,
cb8def6749911619a8afd5c0046052c7.jpg

db6407f875a4ea1cd85dda4533ee6e17.jpg

aebb4e4250fbba494069b4436a950a00.jpg

6aaa1046bc33c379401432e731cf74a0.jpg

ecde228b44220ee134e796f05679a6ae.jpg

a3e25dc98cb339966a5a4ae5169132c3.jpg

39d6530651c437690f03733344bdf5f0.jpg

e884fedad3b99da8a6b4a8ec88ee99e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red7

Well-Known Forum User
It's done 106,000 miles, if anyone wants the dealers email then let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red7

Well-Known Forum User
Scabby Bonnet? Do you mean the engine bay? It definitely needs some cleaning up but I don't think its a bad price imo

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
No, I mean the bonnet when I say bonnet:eek: Under bonnet is engine bay but frankly, a lot easier and correct to say 'engine-bay'....what do you think.;)

Alright, I'm being fussy but at $20000 in a land where +100000 were sold, I think a potentiel buyer has the right.

Attachments

• bonnet.jpg
    bonnet.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 22

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Hey Sean, go easy on Red 7 mon ami ;)

He may be a bit mis-guided on condition and Z values in the States but we all know that red car is worth nearer half the $20k asking price and isn't going to win any prizes.

It looks like he is fairly new to the forum and is just trying to be helpful. If you want this forum to flourish then seasoned old pro's like you need to encourage new members to participate and not intimidate them :)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
but we all know that red car is worth nearer half the $20k asking price and isn't going to win any prizes.

I beg your pardon then as the enthusiasm of youth should never be extinguised by the cynicism of the more 'mature'........but then we don't ALL know the truth about these real values yet.:)

But we're all here to learn - I do about Zs - everyday.:cool:

Red7

Well-Known Forum User
Hey Sean, go easy on Red 7 mon ami ;)

He may be a bit mis-guided on condition and Z values in the States but we all know that red car is worth nearer half the $20k asking price and isn't going to win any prizes.

It looks like he is fairly new to the forum and is just trying to be helpful. If you want this forum to flourish then seasoned old pro's like you need to encourage new members to participate and not intimidate them :)

Cheers Chrisvega, every forums got one and I seem to have found mine early on :thumbs:

For what it's worth I'm not new to 240Z's I had one 30 yrs ago when I was 19, sold it then bought it back, had it restored, won best restored twice at the Autoglym Concours at the NEC when I was a member of the Classic Z Register, then bought a 911, had them both for a while, then sold the 240 to a great guy called Paul, he's on this Forum but don't remember his username atm, you all obviously know more about current values than me but hey ho, I'm here to learn and hopefully have some fun :cheers:

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Nice one Red 7.

Look forward to hearing updates on your newly acquired Z when it arrives.

Another concours winning restoration would be good :thumbs: as long as it doesn't then become a trailer Queen.

Red7

Well-Known Forum User
Nice one Red 7.

Look forward to hearing updates on your newly acquired Z when it arrives.

Another concours winning restoration would be good :thumbs: as long as it doesn't then become a trailer Queen.

Cheers :cheers:

The one I've got has had a suspension off restoration 2000 miles ago and looks pretty clean, useable clean, so no more polishing brake pipes for me :) I was obsessed with my old one, I've learnt my lesson now and I'll use this one :driving:

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
You will always get big swings in classic car prices .auctions can be very unpredictable as you need 2 people to drive the price up. Sometimes you pay too much ,other times you don't get played enough.