240Z Choke lever mounted to tunnel

SacCyclone

Club Member
Hi Rob,
I did have a 240 with a broken choke lever mount on the underside of the center console. Purchased a similar replacement mount that attaches to the tunnel like the one you referenced. Worked out good and seemed to be a much more sturdy place to mount the choke lever assembly especially for choke cables that require a little more force to operate.
Mike

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi Mike, thanks for the reply.

As you say the lever requires quite a lot of effort.

I don't like the way the console creeks and often splits.

A solid mounting seems the way to go.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
That’s exactly where my last one had broken too and this is a great preventative fix. I tried to make up my own but it’s too much hassle to get it right. So I feel this is worth every Penny!

Would love to hear how you get on.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Yes I have Rob, one of the first jobs I did on the car. Not sure I have any photos but will have look.

uk66fastback

Club Member
I've done this and the mount is great. The console is off, so I can take a pic tomorrow ...

My console is in great nick and i didn't want it breaking when using he choke, this plastic gets extremely brittle with the passing years.

yellowz

Club Member
I fitted one of these to my 240Z. Made a world of difference when pulling the choke lever, made it completely solid.

240L31

Club Member
If someone took measurements, I could make a cad file. I guess it should be quite cheap to get it laser cut.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member

toopy

Club Member
Before going to the trouble of fitting this, think about why the choke is so stiff to begin with!

Mine used to be, and my console is indeed cracked. However, if you disconnect the cable's at the carbs, more than likely they will move much easier, which obviously isn't unexpected as you are no longer trying to overcome any mechanical connections at the carb.
But by oiling the cable's and checking the small fuel pipe from float chamber to the jet is not overly stiffened with age, you can much improve the operation.

Prop the cable end's up in the engine bay as vertical as possible, and then carefully and monotonously slowly, drip light oil in the ends. You don't need a lot, try 10 drops per cable, move the lever back and forth a few times, try another 10 drops, re-check etc. It goes without saying that you should also check for kinks in the cable, especially where it runs beside the heater pipes and valve and out through the bulk head.

Also check the smooth or not, up and down movement of the jet, if it's binding at all, use some very fine wet emery paper, and CAREFULLY rub the jet by wrapping a small piece of said paper around it and then gently and briefly, move around the jet with the lightest of pressure!
Rub, clean, fit, check movement.... repeat :)

My console still creaks a bit, since it's already cracked, but the choke lever moves much easier and smoother than it ever has before.

The above relates to Hitachi's but SU's are as many already know, very similar, although the fuel pipe from float chamber to jet is a much better arrangement IMO and suffers far less from any stiffening!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Agreed with everything you say Mr Toopey as I’ve done the oiling a few times already and it does, as you say, make a HUGE difference.

However, I find that over time it gradually stiffens up again and you don’t realise it until one day you feel the console move more than you feel comfortable with.

Mine suffers with the sticky jet issue - for that reason I stopped using the choke at one point as it would totally mess up the mix without popping the bonnet and manually pushing the jets back up. Will defo try your suggestion next time I have the carbs off. [emoji106]

Which last Spring was a near weekly affair ;)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Thanks for all the replies guys. MaximG - that's a different approach to consider.

Toopy - agree but I think the original design was flawed.

Actually I've overhauled my carbs in the last month and everything works just fine. One reason for considering the tunnel mounting is that I don't have the centre console fitted at the moment.

uk66fastback

Club Member
lk2aXPwE.jpg

This is mine - bought from ebay in the US if I remember correctly. Just a flat plate. If anyone wants any dimensions to remake it accurately, I can whip it off and get the tape measure out.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Good to know there's a proper solution around for this - my car's previous owner had a rather 'unique' solution:

IMG_0654.JPG