240Z blanche £23k

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
Assuming the work's been done to a better standard than the transmission tunnel vinyl and centre console fit!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
With some intelligent upgrade that don't detract from the driving but enhance it.

Although not for the purists, the classic feel and sensations remain - why not ?

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Assuming the work's been done to a better standard than the transmission tunnel vinyl and centre console fit!

Oh ?

Here

Attachments

• wrinkly.jpg
    wrinkly.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 57

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User

Yes. A bit wrinkly. Best to scrap it as soon as possible then.

Come on, it's a car that's for sale (clearly at great value for money) not a concours competition. It's not a major problem and it's something that could be easily sorted by a new owner whom - one would imagine - would be spending a little time personalising the car anyway.

I don't think there's any way you could replicate this car for the same money.

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
It looks like a really nice car. But come on. I wrote my initial comment before the posts intimating that Sean had some connection to the car.
I would suggest that if this wasn't the case that you would both be the pointing out the flaws and obvious poor workmanship and intimating that if that was an example of the workmanship, buyer beware.. etc., it's been done before.
All I've done is point out two bit's of the car that aren't that great, maybe bargaining points for potential buyers.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
If it had obvious signs of (repaired) major crash damage, anomalies in its identity or any major flaws then I might well say something and it would probably be justified too.

But this car just looks like a good, straight and honest example of a USA market car that's been brought to the UK and had a lot of time, effort and money spent on it. The body is straight, it's a good original colour for these cars and the modifications make sense for a good drivers car. Pretty much any of the mods you don't like can be easily reversed. It's a perfect - carte blanche - blank canvas. Nitpicking on small details is missing the bigger picture.

I see and hear of people looking for good 240Zs here and elsewhere, and this is the kind of car that they would be well advised to buy. It won't be around for long, I reckon.

PS:
It reminds me of the old Car & Driver magazine 'Omega Z' project a little:

http://oversteergarage.com/2011/12/03/vintage-magazines-car-drivers-datsun-240z-omega/

datsfun

Club Member
All I've done is point out two bit's of the car that aren't that great, maybe bargaining points for potential buyers.

IIRC when it was advertised earlier at a much higher value ( assuming its the same car:confused:), it wore Watanabes which have now been replaced by Rota RKR's.:smash:

But that does not detract from the fact that its a beauty. Great example for someone who wants a turn key example and as has been pointed out, unlikely to hang around at that price.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
It looks like a really nice car. But come on. I wrote my initial comment before the posts intimating that Sean had some connection to the car.
I would suggest that if this wasn't the case that you would both be the pointing out the flaws and obvious poor workmanship and intimating that if that was an example of the workmanship, buyer beware.. etc., it's been done before.

Whether I'm connected or not, you may criticise any car but stay balanced and consider what this one DOES have compared to the few in a similar condition seen on the market ? Those are surely good points to merely snap this one up. And have you tired fitting new vinyl kits - they are a bitch ;) !

Datsfun - stay with your 4-seaters and remain king in your domain rather than a squire in ours.

I beleive that the most important factor here with this car is that (as Alan points out) it is well advised to buy and I'll quantify that :

Most cars seen on the market are either 'off-the-boaters', projects (read basket cases) or heavily modified ie V8 lumps and scaffolding poles for a roll-cage.

The market doesn't see nice examples and so the market rubber stamps Zs still as custom and tuning cars and cheap-buy bangers.

We need more cars like this one out there being sold to finally change the establishment's view of our cars and topply over the edge into the collector's world.

So, it's LHD, doesn't matter, could be RHD - the point is we need to see more of these classy cars.

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
Whether I'm connected or not, you may criticise any car but stay balanced and consider what this one DOES have compared to the few in a similar condition seen on the market ? Those are surely good points to merely snap this one up. And have you tired fitting new vinyl kits - they are a bitch ;) !

I'm just playing devils advocate now as I think the car looks very nice, however, if I sent my car out to a professional to have the vinyl fitted and it came back like that 'yeah mate, they're a bitch to fit' wouldn't really cut it.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I'm just playing devils advocate now as I think the car looks very nice, however, if I sent my car out to a professional to have the vinyl fitted and it came back like that 'yeah mate, they're a bitch to fit' wouldn't really cut it.

Perhaps you could apply your eagle-eye attention to cost up such a Z and confirm whether or not that it is 'worth' buying ?

Don't discount it being LHD - there is a wider market for them outside the UK and potentiel customers consult the UK ads.
There are equally UK buyers either not concerned by having a LHD or it suits them for continental trips.

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
Perhaps you could apply your eagle-eye attention to cost up such a Z and confirm whether or not that it is 'worth' buying ?

Don't discount it being LHD - there is a wider market for them outside the UK and potentiel customers consult the UK ads.
There are equally UK buyers either not concerned by having a LHD or it suits them for continental trips.
I have no idea how much it would cost to build a Z like this, my Z knowledge ( car knowledge) is very very limited.
I wouldn't regard myself as eagle eyed either, but a big pic focussing on wrinkly vinyl and a gap on the centre console is easy to spot.
I've also taken the 'nitpicking' reference as high praise considering where it's come from.