240z B-Pillar speaker question

alsoHarrison

Club Member
I was looking to upgrade the speaker system in the 240z and I noticed after removing the plastic trim from the b pillar that behind the grill there was just a solid panel with a black painted circle. I was wondering if that's safe to cut out to make room for a new speaker and won't cause any structural issues.

Has anyone done this mod and did turn out okay?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
have you got a pic of what you're looking at? I think behind that grill is the standard place for a speaker.

alsoHarrison

Club Member
have you got a pic of what you're looking at? I think behind that grill is the standard place for a speaker.

Sorry for the poor picture but I don't have one of my car and this is the best picture I could find, you can see the dark circle in the frame that usually is covered by plastic trim with some perforation which made me think there was a speaker there already.

rear1~2.jpg

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I suggest those holes are to vent air. I would cut into the body for a speaker.

alsoHarrison

Club Member
As Rob suggested the perforated panels are for ventilation - speakers go further back on metal brackets near the rear lights:
I was hoping to add more speakers to the car and I noticed this grille but if that's not an option I can fabricate something to have the speakers elsewhere haha! Thanks

status

Well-Known Forum User
Not sure if same but on the 260 they are situated more forward towards the seat as it goes down where the wheel is

Fairlineguy

Club Member
This is what you want .
Original one speaker system

Attachments

• 043EA26B-8BB5-4A36-8AD1-9288DFD7665F.jpeg
    043EA26B-8BB5-4A36-8AD1-9288DFD7665F.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 15

alsoHarrison

Club Member
That's the idea.

Staying on topic, I've always fitted mine in the footwells, nowadays there are custom speaker mounts that don't intrude...unless you have huge feet !
I'm working on 3D printed panels to hold 13cm speakers at the moment! Hoping they aren't going to get too in the way haha