240Z Automatic Flexplate.

jed

Forum User
Hello,

I've just advertised that i'm looking for a flexplate for a 1972 240Z auto'.

I know from searching the US sites that knowledge on Auto flexplates can be limited but I thought I'd see if anyone can help.

I'm trying to find out the following, will a 280ZX flexplate or 280ZX Turbo flexplate fit the 240Z.

Can someone confirm in the photo in the link below that the ring gear is for a manual car and that the auto' flexplates were all welded to the ring gear, including the later cars.

Thanks

http://http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/open-zcar-discussion/49374-auto-flexplate.html

Attachments

• flex1.JPG
    flex1.JPG
    312 KB · Views: 18
  • flex2.JPG
    flex2.JPG
    346.5 KB · Views: 15

Mr.F

Inactive
Flex plates are supplied with ring gear already attached as you suggest.
There are various part numbers for 280ZX flex plates, but the first of them shares a part number with the 240Z / 260Z / 280Z version. The auto boxes are pretty much the same as the 240Z one, so I think a 280ZX flex plate will be good to go!

jed

Forum User
Thanks for the replies, I've been offered a 280ZX Turbo flexplate but it's in the US. I'd prefer to find one in the UK but I still don't know if the Turbo plate will fit. I haven't found anyone in the US forum who knows if it'll connect to the torque converter without any problem.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for the replies, I've been offered a 280ZX Turbo flexplate but it's in the US. I'd prefer to find one in the UK but I still don't know if the Turbo plate will fit. I haven't found anyone in the US forum who knows if it'll connect to the torque converter without any problem.

You will be unlikely to find a 280ZX turbo one here in the UK as we never had the car ..
Likewize without the car the knowledge base here will be close to zero.
The one I have is from a non turbo car.;)

jed

Forum User
Hello PMAC, I sent a personal reply re the Flexplate through the classified section a while back. Don't know if it has come through to you yet. Thanks.

Mr.F

Inactive
I can cross reference part numbers between US Turbo and UK 280ZX flex plates if required, but you should have no trouble finding a standard 280ZX version in the UK...

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
but you should have no trouble finding a standard 280ZX version in the UK...

Correct!

The one I have is from a non turbo car.

Can someone confirm in the photo in the link below that the ring gear is for a manual car and that the auto' flexplates were all welded to the ring gear, including the later cars.
The pictures are NOT 240Z ring gear manual cos its a press/heat fit not bolts.
The auto ring gear is welded to the centre plate.
I will post a photo tomorrow nite of the one I have..

Hello PMAC, I sent a personal reply re the Flexplate through the classified section a while back. Don't know if it has come through to you yet. Thanks.

Yes it has.

jed

Forum User
Think I have one floating around from a 180B, same setup but 2 cylinders less !

Thanks for the reply. I'll stick with the ZX plate just now as I'd have to start asking questions of the 180B to see if anyone knows if it'll fit.

jed

Forum User
The pictures are NOT 240Z ring gear manual cos its a press/heat fit not bolts.
The auto ring gear is welded to the centre plate.

PMAC, thanks for the reply.

The guy I got it from said it was from a 280 ZX. He's selling ZX parts using three different user names (?) and it would appear the car was an auto as the shifter is still for sale. It's maybe from a later manual car.

The consensus seems to be that the 280ZX flexplate will fit.

jed

Forum User
Just got an email from ebay guy who sold me this ring, he states this is without any doubt from a 1981 280ZX Auto.

Can anyone say if there's any possibility that this year of car had a bolted on flexplate?

Thanks.

Mr.F

Inactive
See attached extract from parts CD - there is no part number listed for any auto ring gear from Nissan. USA alternative part number 12312-61000, but all are supercessions from the first.
Aftermarket part number for manual ring gear ATP ZA517 - there may be others.
None are bolted on.

Attachments

• S130 crank331 (Large).jpg
    S130 crank331 (Large).jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 5

jed

Forum User
Hello Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

The picture does seem to show the plate and ring separated with a stud or bolt, with part number, behind it.

I've measured mine which is 332mm outer diameter and 310mm inner diameter with three studs.

I'll ask PMAC to measure the one he has to confirm if this is correct or not.

I've had another email from ebay guy, who it turns out is selling 280ZX parts through 5 user names (?), he says he sells a lot of different car parts and can't help me further with any info. I doubt I'll get my money back of him so if I need to sell it on then I'll have to be sure of what car it comes from.

Thanks again.

Mr.F

Inactive
The bolt on the picture 12310A is one of the attachment bolts for flexplate to crankshaft. Part number 12331 brackets the core and the ring - although they are two parts, Nissan only sell the assembly and I can't find an example of anyone offering anything other than a manual ring gear.
Are there no part numbers on the part supplied?

jed

Forum User
Hello Mike,

I looked at that earlier and there aren't any numbers on it.

It's a puzzler.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Just got an email from ebay guy who sold me this ring, he states this is without any doubt from a 1981 280ZX Auto.

Fine with me!
I have too many other jobs going on to be involved anymore in this debate.

Edit.... too busy to do any more.

jed

Forum User
I've read many posts were the person asking for help doesn't leave a message later stating how the problem was resolved. Therefore as a future reference to help others, this is my final message on the subject.

In answer to whether a 280ZX Auto Flexplate/ Flywheel will fit a 240Z Auto, the answer is yes. After debating this on UK, USA and OZ forums, the suspicion was that it would work but I didn't find anyone who had tried it. Finding the part wasn't easy, I got jerked around by various oddballs along the way but eventually found one on ebay. Many thanks again to Mr F.