240Z auction NEC Saturday KMM750K

martinperry

New Forum User
Hi,
Complete Z car virgin (long term classic car owner though!) looking for expert opinion
This Z is up for auction at the NEC

http://www.silverstoneauctions.com/datsun-240z

Does anyone have any opinion on actual value, advice or direct /indirect knowledge of this car?
Thankyou very much
Looking forward to joining the club if successful!
Martin

richiep

Club Member
Hi Martin,

Welcome to the site. This car was discussed a while ago, I'll post the link below. It was actually up on eBay a little while ago for £18,750. So that gives you a little extra perspective on the estimated 20-23k. I think the concensus was it seems a good car. With Zs though, viewing in person or speaking to someone with direct knowledge of the particular vehicle is always advantageous.

Beat to the punch by Rob but here:
http://zclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24491

The original eBay ad from August:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Datsun-24...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

racer

Club Member
Yep that's the one Rob, thought I'd seen it before. For 18k it would be a good buy, if it's as good as it looks?
You might be lucky at auction and grab a bargain.

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
See you at the auction then Martin as i'll be going along with my piggy bank ;)
I had a good chat with Duncan about the car as he knows it very very well. He built it :) lol

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Does anyone have any opinion on actual value,

Every S 30 owner on this forum will have an opinion. Whether they are relevant is another matter.
The actual value will be the final figure at the fall of the hammer.

direct /indirect knowledge of this car?
I have direct knowledge.... but its from the same era when member Kev64 went to view it in Cannock.
Is that knowledge relevant now??? Who knows

Does anyone have any , advice
My advice....
Examine the car thoroughly . Every square inch. Use a magnet. Check every minute detail of trim, wiring, instrumentation. mechanical soundness.
Faults will be expensive and difficult to put right potentially.
Eg a molested/damaged door card. a cracked dash, a broken centre consol.etc etc.

My opinion.....
For all the hype printed in the advert about the engine... its figures are pretty uninspiring by todays standards.

martinperry

New Forum User
Great info guys - thanks!!
Most valuable being that it isnt a fresh resto and what it didnt make on ebay before.
Will have a thorough nose over it on Friday!!
Also puts the guide price into perspective - hope I havent generated too much interest!

Stockdale

Club Member
No. That will be the price.

The 'value' is another, nebulous and subjective thing altogether.

A price is something which someone requires to release an item. The price of a banana at Tesco is the amount you will need to pay at the checkout. The 'price' may be different at Lidl but it is still the price.

The 'value' is the amount which someone places on an item. If someone is bidding against you at action then clearly they consider the 'value' to be greater than you until they no longer bid. Albrecht is quite right that it is a vague matter. Personal, emotional and purely speculative notions will be present at auction. My impression is that the latter is becoming very focused at the moment and that investors (rather than enthusiasts) are at the forefront of bidding. If without even driving a car it is likely to be worth substantially more a year ahead then then investors (given the miserable bank rates available) then many people or organisations will be might be interested.

On the cautionary side, always remember that what goes up can also come down:)

rahail240

Well-Known Forum User
And for those guys who might be bidding don't forget the buyers premium, if it's like a standard auction set up at the NEC.
Some of the premium percentages can be shockingly high.
And also factor the transport costs to wherever you posh folk live as well.

I'll be wearing my very best tyre kicking footwear on Saturday, all being well.

rahail240

Well-Known Forum User
silverstone:

like the vast majority of auctioneers, Silverstone Auctions Limited charge what is known as a buyer's premium. Our standard buyer's premium charges are 12.5% of hammer price for motor vehicles (cars and motorcycles) and 17.5% for automobilia/lifestyle items. Buyer's premium is subject to VAT at the prevailing rate on the day of the auction.

if you do like it why not contact the owner though the original ebay advert, he'll be paying commission also.... if you like it there's no need, he'll save cash, you'll save cash and have the car you want.

madda

Well-Known Forum User
But I don't think the owner of the ebay add is the owner now. I spoke to zfarm on another matter and mentioned this car and seem to remember him saying it was bought by a trader who bought two that week and planned to sit on them.

I hope it goes for stupid money as I'm confident mine is much cleaner by what zfarm said. :)

status

Well-Known Forum User
I see you live in Sawbo,im just up the road in Pledgdon Green,Henham,if you get the car we shall have to meet up or if you need to know anything about zeds then feel free to bell me or come round and ill take you for a blast in my 260z if the roads are dry ,waste of time if they are wet,ill pm you my number if you want it,

rahail240

Well-Known Forum User
Yep that's what it went for £19200.
It was nice looking car but definitely not top notch I'm afraid on closer inspection.