240z 3.1lt

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Does anyone know the spec/output/quality of this engine?

To my eye the engine is perhaps not 'in keeping' with the rest of the car. Just my opinion.

So if I bought it I'd be tempted to put a slightly modified 2.4 in there and use the engine for something else - or tastefully modify the rest of the car.

Do we think the car is more or less valuable with this engine? I think it may sell easier with a 2.4, again just my opinion but buyers are tending to want standard cars I think.

All that said this is probably a great car to drive if the engine is well designed, spec'd and tuned.

With this engine an S14 box would have been good.

Overall I like it and it has great potential.

Bazzateer

Club Member
Very nice, I'd be happy with the 3.1 but the wheels and aerial would have to go (sorry, but not a fan of slots).
If it was standard it would probably sell for more but I doubt the 3.1 would put too many off.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
yeah, I think if it had a standard looking inlet and air filter setup, 3.1 would probably help sell it.
But its nice.

status

Well-Known Forum User
It’s all down to each owners personal taste,the 3.1 should be very torquey and quick,ive got TBs on mine so starts and stops on the button,I had mine swapped out for a 3.2 Rebello motor,still to have it RRded just waiting for temperatures to drop ,I personally prefer the white 240 that was for sale two weeks ago and maybe gone for it if I had the room but the Z 4 M coupe went a week later,always another comes along one day,think Mike is right in wot hesays

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I like it, can't see it being worth less than a 2.4 engined car.

Wonder what the engine spec is though?
Exactly what I was thinking on both counts.

Also, I was very pleased to watch the video and hear it has the same squeaks and rattles as mine! :p

Mark N

Club Member
Surely a car of more original spec should fetch more?

What if a 240Z had an S20 swap instead of an L24?
Would it be considered more or less desirable/valuable than a matching numbers car in the same condition?
It all depends on what is most desirable to the people with the money to spend.
Also, if that was the general rule, MZR would be in big trouble.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
What if a 240Z had an S20 swap instead of an L24?
Would it be considered more or less desirable/valuable than a matching numbers car in the same condition?
It all depends on what is most desirable to the people with the money to spend.
Also, if that was the general rule, MZR would be in big trouble.

In my view, it would a higher premium but only so the new owner could remove the S20 and fit another L-gata, maybe an L24 or anything he had to hand.

The S20 would then be sold on for a tidy profit.

MZR ? Different market, different clients, different expectations....

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I have a feeling this might be a bargain. If it was a standard engine it would probably fetch it's market value of about £30k including fees. I think this might go for about £25k.

Just my gut feeling which may be way off the mark.

Anyone else prepared to guess?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
It's a bit crusty on the lower sills and even in 1990, this wouldn't have paid for an extensive rebuild, let alone a respray : "Although the car was restored quite a while ago in 1990, at a cost of £2700"

But it's onEFI, overall is clean, inside too although missing a few daubles here and there - I reckon it's the wrong venue to sell so at a guess £34k.