240 Old Car Smell - Fuel, Oil?

Barricade

Forum User
So, having had the 240 sat in the garage for a couple of weeks now, the garage now has developed quite an aroma - a heady mix of what I think fuel, oil and volatile compounds. Now I accept that this might be due to it being an old, carb-fuelled car and that's just how it is - welcome to classic car ownership.
My issue is our garage extension backs into the house and said aroma is permeating into the house and affecting the livability of one of our rooms and as a result Mrs Barricade's tolerance levels aren't what they used to be. I've performed a basic check round the car and there is no fluid leaking on the floor (or evidence of one - having used various mediums under the car to detect and visualise) and this is not recent combustion as the car hasn't moved.

Any ideas where I can start with the 240, are there any specific things worth checking over? Ideas and suggestions much appreciated, you're saving more than a marriage, you are helping keep a man and his new 240z together.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
The usual culprit is worn/damaged tank breather pipe. It comes through the boot floor behind the plastic trim at the rear of the car. It may be damaged under the floor though - mine was.

Bazzateer

Club Member
Looks for damp patches on the fuel tank, it may have micro holes from rust. Also, look for signs of damp along the fuel lines, hoses and any joints.
If you can ventilate the garage a bit it may help with the pong.

Also, good excuse to build a proper man cave at the bottom of the garden!

Rushingphil

Club Member
So, having had the 240 sat in the garage for a couple of weeks now, the garage now has developed quite an aroma - a heady mix of what I think fuel, oil and volatile compounds. Now I accept that this might be due to it being an old, carb-fuelled car and that's just how it is - welcome to classic car ownership.
My issue is our garage extension backs into the house and said aroma is permeating into the house and affecting the livability of one of our rooms and as a result Mrs Barricade's tolerance levels aren't what they used to be. I've performed a basic check round the car and there is no fluid leaking on the floor (or evidence of one - having used various mediums under the car to detect and visualise) and this is not recent combustion as the car hasn't moved.

Any ideas where I can start with the 240, are there any specific things worth checking over? Ideas and suggestions much appreciated, you're saving more than a marriage, you are helping keep a man and his new 240z together.

I had the same - t'was the fuel filler pipe that was cracked

20191208_181250.jpg

chris frizzell

Club Member
will be the old fuel and as you say a small leak. removing the tanks is quite easy . if your going to restore the car just replace all you rubber fuel line . its not worth the car going up in flames for some new fuel pipe. the old datsun stuff is cloth brayed and it will be very crusty. dont forget to put high pressure rubber line . self isolate yourself under your new car .Happy days Chris

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
First place to look is why your garage is letting fumes through into the living accomodation...

Difficult to stop I reckon. That's why I wouldn't buy a house with an integral garage. Same with toilets they should be outside :rofl:

Mark N

Club Member
You mean some people have toilets inside?!

Inside is way more convenient!

3C33329900000578-0-image-a-23_1484665204037.jpg

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I remember a joke about BBQs. A guy said that we used to cook indoors and shit outside.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I’m with Sean on this one!!

It’s difficult to know how bad it is without being there but every time I open the garage door the smell of fuel and oil takes me back to my childhood in the 70s! I do think (in my sample size of 1) quite a lot of it is fuel sitting in carbs and slowly evaporating out through the air filter.

But defo worth checking your fuel lines over - a must do for any classic purchase.

First and foremost, draft excluder that garage door!!!!

a153e5fb9e4615f3af4df70e2aa27c53.png

arcdef

Club Member
will be the old fuel and as you say a small leak. removing the tanks is quite easy . if your going to restore the car just replace all you rubber fuel line . its not worth the car going up in flames for some new fuel pipe. the old datsun stuff is cloth brayed and it will be very crusty. dont forget to put high pressure rubber line . self isolate yourself under your new car .Happy days Chris
Are there any guides on how much hose is needed etc? I would prefer to have everything I need before ripping apart the car. Thanks

chris frizzell

Club Member
no real measuments i use the old pipe as a guild. just pop down to your good car part supplier . the original pipe is shapped but i used longer pipe to ensure i had no kinks . if you looking to restore the tank i can recommend Por 15 . dont forget to get all the old crap out of the tank thinners and nuts works but make sure you get all the nuts out . great to see a restored tank .crack on my friend .chris

Sam_C

Club Member
Inside is way more convenient!

3C33329900000578-0-image-a-23_1484665204037.jpg
A house in our street was for sale a couple of years ago. This is a picture from the ad. Hard to tell, but this is the master bedroom! To the left is the bed, and the pic shows the “open plan” toilet ! I’m sure the missus will have a relaxing lie-in when you’re dumping the remains of the previous night’s curry down the pan! Didn’t sell for a long time, strangely enough...

Mark N

Club Member
A house in our street was for sale a couple of years ago. This is a picture from the ad. Hard to tell, but this is the master bedroom! To the left is the bed, and the pic shows the “open plan” toilet ! I’m sure the missus will have a relaxing lie-in when you’re dumping the remains of the previous night’s curry down the pan! Didn’t sell for a long time, strangely enough...

On the plus side, it would probably stop her complaining about the smell of petrol coming from the garage for a bit!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member

Got the love of God, WHY would anyone do this!?!?!?