240 gearbox info required

Sam_C

Club Member
Ok....taking advantage of a convenient (not) rear crank oil seal leak, I am planning to refurb my gearbox shortly ( usual 2nd gear synchro woes) so I have been researching what bits I need. So much so, that I'm going round in circles and confusing myself no end!

So first question... Is the late UK market 5 speed 240z gearbox ( bent stick, splined propshaft) F5C71B or FS5C71B? What's the difference between these two boxes?

Secondly does anybody have a link to an exploded parts diagram with part numbers etc? I do have a copy for the F5C71B, but not the FS5C71B. I presume a lot of the parts are the same, but we all know what presumption is the mother of, don't we?

And finally....although I have sourced a couple of synchro rings, I have been told that the main culprit for poor shifts is usually the brake band in the synchro mechanism. Does the panel agree or disagree on that?

Many thanks, Sam

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I think the box will be an FS5C71B . Don't know what a F5C71B is so can't tell you the difference. Mike Feeney may have the parts breakdown diagrams. Would suggest call him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
So first question... Is the late UK market 5 speed 240z gearbox ( bent stick, splined propshaft) F5C71B or FS5C71B? What's the difference between these two boxes?

jonbills said:
I think the box will be an FS5C71B.

Yes, late UK market HS30 stock manual transmission was the FS5C71-B.

The F5C71-B (note the missing 'S' code denoting overdrive) was a 'competition' oriented 'Direct Drive' non-overdrive 5-speed transmission. 5th gear was 1:1 ratio. Shift pattern was 'Dogleg' layout with 1st gear opposite Reverse, back and left (nicknamed 'Low Back' in Japan). Synchros are steel. They came in 4 different ratio versions: 'Option 1', 'Option 2', 'Option 3' and the wider-spaced 'Rally Option'. Replacement Internal parts are in short supply.

Sam_C

Club Member
Thanks Jon, Albrecht, much appreciated.
Albrecht - would you have a parts list / exploded diagram for the FS5 box by any chance?
If so, I would be very grateful if you could E Mail me a copy at MisterSCobb@aol.com when you have a moment.
Rgds Sam

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
And just to add: Please be careful of mixing data specific to the FS5W71-B (usually via north American based sources of info and parts) which had the Warner type synchros, as opposed to the Servo type synchros in the FS5C71-B.

A useful mnemonic is 'FS5W71-A = Warner'.